Thursday, August 1, 2013

Great Crowd, Great day in Mankato on Thursday


The enthusiasm is building for the season as shown by a huge crowd today in Mankato on Thursday. I found on twitter that the attendance was just over 6600.

I got to Mankato at my normal time and saw an incredible amount of people lined up already. It went about 2 blocks long and it was still an hour early before fans could enter.

Today’s autograph line was the wide receivers. I talk to several people who felt Greg Jennings and Cordarrelle Patterson would be the big draw.

The inquisitive person I am went further in research to see just what time people started lining up, I ran into the man I met from Phoenix earlier in the week who told me he was there by 6am and felt he was about 50th in line. He said a buddy of his who is from Minnesota got there at 4:30am and was about 10th. There is so much passion for autographs of certain players you would have to see it to believe it. I see it every day and still can’t believe what people will do.

The weather was the best of the camp so far with sunny skies and a breeze in the morning but by the afternoon the hot Mankato sun was baking the fans.

The afternoon practice had once again a lot of spirit and for one play a little bit too much spirit. A pass was intercepted by Xavier Rhodes who was taking the ball back when offensive linemen Seth Olsen grabbed Rhodes by the jersey and whipped him down not necessarily hard but enough a group of players came together. It was short lived incident quickly settled.

Today on the offensive side of the ball I really like Jerome Simpson who made some very good catches. It seems every day the receivers are getting better. The one constant is Greg Jennings who looks ready for the game opener.

Thursday a situational play was set up with 3rd and 20. McLeod Bethel- Thompson was at qb when he took the ball was chased and found Chris Summers for a long touchdown. I talked to McLeod after practice and told him, great throw to Summers. He looked at me and said, “Great route.”

The tight ends look again once again. I love what Rudolph and Carlson are doing. Rhett Ellison is also making consistent plays. The one tight end camp I am keeping an eye on is number 86, Chase Ford who was signed in 2012 by the Vikings. He was on the Dallas, Philadelphia and then Minnesota practice squads last year. He is 6’6” and 255 pounds. He has some very good hands but has tough competition in front of him. I will enjoy watching him in camp and then preseason to see how his future turns out this season.

The goal line offense was worked on today. It was earlier in the week when the offense really struggled getting the ball in. Today was much better with both running and passing. It was not 100 percent but I counted at least half of the chances the offense punched it in. It was very encouraging to see the progress yet I know much work needs to be done. If I can see small steps each day I will take it.

The defensive side of the ball two players stood out to me and they were Everson Griffen and Sharriff Floyd.

This is a big season coming up for contracts to be renewed. I am a big Griffen fan. I believe he has the motor to get double digit sacks this year. One play Toby Gerhart took the handoff and as soon as he had the ball Griffen had broken around the corner and dropped Gerhart instantly.

Floyd was getting through the line and causing problems for the offense, I believe I counted 3 times in a short time when he caused havoc. This big man showed me his quickness in a big way today.

Vikings fans, I believe we are in for a special year as we will watch the defensive line wreak havoc and will have big sack numbers when the season ends.

Erin Henderson showed signs today his hustle will pay off. One again, Gerhart took a handoff and at the same time Henderson hit him low and knocked him back on his butt.

It was a hot day in Mankato with a big crowd. The practice ended and I actually hear people clapping which I do not hear very often to end a practice.

It was the best day thus far with the weather and the supportive crowd.

Friday is defensive line autographs.

Practice: 10:30-11:30 and 2:45-4:45

I left practice at 5 pm and there was already a man in line for tomorrow. He had his lawn chair set up at the gate. Yes, people are crazy and I love it.

That’s all from Mankato

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment