Wednesday, August 7, 2013

I am ready for Friday, ARE YOU?


Wednesday’s practices # 21 and 22 concluded this week’s portion of Mankato Training Camp. Thursday camp is closed and then Friday MOA Field will be rocking with the purple passion all over the stadium.

I have seen 2 different training camp schedules with both saying 2:45 start time but one has 5:30 end and the other one 4:45. The team has been staying pretty close to the 4:45 time. Tuesday’s practice went to a little after 5. Wednesday’s practice went to 4:20. I found myself a little surprised with the game less than 48 hours.

The weather was beautiful in the mid 70’s and sunny with a good size crowd in the afternoon. These fans are ready for football. They are clapping more this year than I can remember. There is a ton of excitement and it gets me pumped seeing fellow fans this passionate.
 
Yes, practice was cut off but I saw the continued chemistry with Ponder and Simpson and Jennings. The team ran the red zone offense and two touchdowns with the 2 combos I mentioned previous. The Jennings TD was a beautiful route in which Ponder hit him in the corner of the end zone,

I know its practice and I get reminded by fans it is only practice. I can’t disagree but the fact I am seeing guys build a quarterback-receiver relationship gives me the hope they can carry it forth.

It was great to see Jared Allen and Harrison Smith on the field and practice after the day before I left Mankato a little concerned.

WHO TO LOOK FOR FRIDAY

I want to look ahead to the 1st preseason game and give you players names I have enjoyed watching and am looking for them to show their talents on the field. If you can remember I would like you to look for them and see what you think.

Yes, Preseason is a chance for the veterans to get a few reps but to me preseason is all about finding depth. Who is going to be the surprise to make the final 53 man roster?

Quaterback- # 4 McLeod Bethel-Thompson    I absolutely love his quick release and zip on the ball. I will also look for his accuracy.

Running Back- # 38 Bradley Randle   He is the man who is 5’7” and is so quick. I would love to see him make the team.

Wide Receiver- # 19- Ryan Thielen  The kid from Minnesota State University. I have wrote about him quite often. I really think this kid has a chance to make it. If not the Vkings

Tight End- # 86 Chase Ford    He is 6’6” and what I have watched has hands that can’t be overlooked. Rudolph and Carlson are lock. Preseason will be huge for Ford.

The 3 first round draft picks- Who will be he one who brings the most notice? I am very excited to see how Sharrif Floyd can compete against opponent offensive linemen. I am very excited to see what speed Patterson truly has. He has shown a couple burst in Mankato bringing cheers from the fans in the bleachers. Xavier Rhodes has been on the sideline most of the week so my assumption is he will not see much or any playing time on Friday.
 
Punter- # 12 Jeff Locke  Can he keep bombing 60-70 yard punts and can he pin teams inside the 20?  This will be a fun watch.

Kicker- # 3 Blair Walsh    I am not concerned about his field goals lengths what I will be watching is the new holder, Locke and how he does for Walsh. It will be a project to watch in preseason.

Defensive Backs   # 31 Bobby Felder is back for year 2 in camp and has looked good. Can he make enough plays in preseason to have the coaches keep him?

Linebacker-  # 54 Gerald Hodges and 56 Michael Mauti  The 2 draft choices out of Penn State.  These 2 guys can really play but when it counts in preseason can they do enough?

These are just a few names I would like you to look for Friday. There are 90 guys on the squad so pick your name. These names listed is who I am looking to have a big game Friday as they start their push to complete their life dreams.

That’s all from Mankato

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment