Saturday, August 24, 2013

Previewing Sunday night's 49ers game


Game 3 is coming soon and I cannot think of a better opponent than the San Francisco 49ers. The 3rd game as you know is really the final showing for the vets on NFL teams. This is the game where the regulars play the first half and maybe into the 3rd quarter.

The Vikes have been questioned by many just how good they will be. Game 1 infamous 2 plays and out for the first string. We know that old story as we got to read a weeks’ worth of questions about 2 plays.

The game in Buffalo once again the jury seems ready to deem the Vikes offense nowhere ready to compete.

I believe you know how I feel. It is preseason and I will not get hung up on the mistakes. I am looking for progress.

This is why I feel Sunday night’s game on National TV is huge for the Vikes fans. This is a chance to really see what the team has moving into the regular season.

A matchup against the NFC representative in last year’s Super Bowl. A game on the road for the Vikes, and even a national telecast is what’s on tap Sunday.

The 49ers led by 2012 rookie sensation, quarterback Colin Kaepernick will be a great test for the Vikings defense. I am of the opinion this season that the read option will not be run as easy this season. I just think defensive coordinators have had much more time to prepare for this new up and coming style of offense.

A defense must play well disciplined defense. I love what Vikings defensive coordinator has to work with. Minnesota’s defensive line has 5 guys who could start on any of the 31 other teams and we get the privilege as fans to know these guys are suiting up in purple for 17 weeks.

The linebackers I believe are athletic enough to contain the read option offense. Yes, Erin Henderson is new at middle linebacker but I believe his speed and athleticism will be a huge asset for this new positions. I also believe Sunday’s game will go a long way to see just who the 3rd linebacker will be. Marvin Mitchell or Desmond Bishop? I  am just thinking this could be a great game for Bishop to show the nation what the Pack let go and the Vikes picked up as a steal. This will be fun to watch Sunday on who makes a better showing. Marvin Mitchell could have a small advantage because of his special teams play as well. If Bishop can beat out Mitchell I believe Mitchell will make the team with his special teams play and his veteran years will play off as a much needed depth in the linebacker corp.

The 49ers have I believe a top 5 in the NFC tight end, Vernon Davis. The man is 6’3” and weighs 250. He is quick and gets down the field for long catches. This will be a great matchup for the Vikes linebacker’s corp. I can’t wait to see Erin Henderson cover him on a deep seam pass

The game will be an obvious big game for Ponder as he is facing I believe the top defense in the NFC. This is all I will say on Ponder because I believe we have read enough by all writers about number 7 that will last us a life time.

Adrian getting a start I am truly excited about. The reason as I stated about Ponder is the defense the 49ers put on the field. It should be a great half of football.

The offensive line took a truer beating in Buffalo last week now have a chance to redeem themselves. This game will be a true challenge and in a positive way. If the offensive line can play like I know they are capable of it will give me a better feeling coming into the season opener in Detroit.

The 2013 draft in April was awesome and I was so excited to see these guys in Mankato. The three first rounders’ are a lock to make the team. I know Sharrif Floyd is out for the remainder of preseason so I will be excited to see how Patterson and Rhodes can compete against the 49ers.

New punter, Jeff Locke will have a chance to show the nation his leg. The 49ers have had a very good return game in the past so this will be a good chance to see how Locke does with his hang time and ability to pin the 49ers deep.

This will be another game to watch how the 3, Loeffler, Locke and Walsh work together with the extra points and field goal attempts. If the wind is a factor it will make it even more fun to see how Walsh comes through.

It is preseason and with that said I am excited to see how one 49ers play in particular does. MarQueis Gray, former Gopher quarterback is listed on the 49ers unofficial depth chart as the 4th string tight end. I wish him well and hope he can make the 49ers 53 man team.

This 49ers team is blessed with true talent and the rich get richer as the 49ers land wide receiver, Anquan Boldin. He guy wins a Super Bowl ring last year in Baltimore and now goes to the 49ers in the offseason. Chris Cook and the rest of the defensive backs will get a great test trying to stop this big physical receiver.

I know Marcus Sherels is out for the 49ers game so this will be another week to see if Bobby Felder can have another game like he did in Buffalo.

There are so many story lines and so many players to watch for. This is the last chance of the preseason to see just how this team is moving in the right direction. Game 4 is the last game for the rookies to state their case why they should be 1 of the 53.

This whole game is a recipe for a great game and a great test for our favorite team, the Minnesota Vikings. I am not concerned about a win although it would be sweet I just want this team to show the nation that last season was not a fluke and the men in purple are back for the run to ‘Mission Meadlowlands” and finally win the Lombardi Trophy.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment