Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Players ready to break camp

Ponder and Jennings, the combo that won't fail
 

Well fans only one day left after Tuesday’s afternoon practice. I will say one thing and that is the players are ready to go.

The afternoon practice seemed so chatty by the players. You could hear voices all the time with players yelling out. It was so fun to be part of this practice.  I leave tomorrow with the thought this team is ready to make another playoff run.

The NFL has seen its share of season ending injuries but not the Vikings. It was one of the healthiest camps that I can remember in years here in Mankato. I have seen Greg Childs doing some running on the far fields. He is really the only one who did not participate.

The practice Tuesday afternoon spent a good chunk of time on the running game. Adrian Peterson is running like he is game form. He will break through the line and give it some gas. The cuts he is making are sharp and looks like he is eager to play Friday in Buffalo. We will see if this happens.

The subject of running backs I cannot help but be so impressed with Bradley Randle. The guy is amazing. One of the disappointments I forgot to add in the review of the Houston game was when Randle was back for the kickoff. The ball went out of the end zone so we just did not get to see what I see in Mankato.

The offense did quite of few run plays from the far five giving each back a chance. The defense jumped one time other than that it was hand off after handoff.

I must mention speaking of defense; I have been impressed with Audie Cole in the middle linebacker when he gets in. He seems to be getting more comfortable and has a good nose for the ball just ask the running backs he is meeting in the hole.

The catch of the day came on a deep seam pass from Ponder to John Carlson. The crowd approved as they clapped. I love the camp Carlson is having after last year’s disaster with the injury bug.

Greg Jennings had another Jennings day as he gets open and does not drop a ball. If he dropped 10 all camp I would be shocked. The guy just gets open and gets the job done.

Odds and end during and after practice

I love talking to people about their memories of the past training camps and the changes people have seen. I met a man who grew up in Mankato and said he can remember being around 7-8 years old and carried Fran Tarkenton and Grady Alderman’s suitcase to the Gage Towers where the Vikings had stayed in previous years.

I saw a golf cart with players coming off the field and to the locker room. Jerome Simpson was driving with Patterson, Jennings and Wright all aboard. Simpson not only drove up to the locker room he drove into it. What a sight!

Chad Greenway was along the fence signing autographs for fans. Toby Gerhart came running over as well. One fan said you are the man Toby. Greenway told Gerhart that fans said he was the man. It was so funny to see these guys having fun. Gerhart told Greenway that all day fans have been calling him Greenway. One fan added that he thinks John Sullivan and Jared Allen look alike. You should have seen the look Greenway gave the fan. It was great being over there and watching these 2 players interact with fans. I love it.

A sad part of camp also as I was leaving I watch a semi backup to the locker room so they could start packing up to head back to the cities.

It has been a great camp and I hope you have enjoyed these. I will write one last one tomorrow. Thanks to you that have read them. I appreciate it. I have had 2500 page views since camp began.

That’s  all from Mankato

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment