Friday, August 2, 2013

Friday-Big Crowd, cool weather, Ponder heating up


I showed up in Mankato Friday to exactly what I had thought it would be or at least hoped and that was a big crowd. I knew the numbers were big by seeing the stands full this afternoon. I found on twitter once again the crowd was at least 6500. This is incredible in 2 days having over 12,000. There is so much excitement in camp. The amount of purple watching practice is such a beautiful sight.

Today was practice number 13 and 14 with Saturday morning’s practice marking the half waypoint of camp.

Friday morning was the 10:30-11:30 walk through in Blakeslee field. I just wanted to give you a rundown of a walk through practice. It is the first 30 minutes working on special teams. The last half hour the offense spends the time on the west side of the field and the defense goes to the east end. There is on offense vs. defense in this session.

The weather was a cool overcast day for the afternoon practice, which went 2:45-4:45. The team started out with special teams in which the punt team worked. Rookie, Jeff Locke nailed 3- 70-yard punts, which brought cheers from the fans in the stands. It is incredible to see that distance and to watch the return man run back to get under it. I cannot wait for you to see it yourself next Friday either on TV or if you are at the game.

The next was a favorite drill of mine on special teams. A padded mat was laid on the field, reminding me of a gymnastics mat. I would guess 5’ x 8’ or so. A person begins pouring water all over the top side. The next step is watching players simulate blocking a kick by running and diving through the air in attempt to block the kick. The player slides across the mat. The process continues as player after player go diving. The mat is made sure to stay wet by a person pouring water when needed.

One shocking development in practice was Blair missing two field goals, one of 43 and one 50 both wide. He has plenty of distance. This was a rare day so I will not get worked up. He is working with a new holder and if there is a time to miss, it is now. His leg does look stronger than last year. I feel very confident he will be all right and keep booming 50 yarders again this season.

On Saturday July 27, I witnessed a struggling quarterback in Ponder. I knew it is early, as things will get better. Today, Friday August 2, I can stand behind my words and say Ponder looked very sharp. He threw a beautiful pass leading Greg Jennings towards the sideline and Greg hauled it in. I was on top of Blakeslee Field overlooking practice so on that play I could watch the ball through the air and watch Greg corral it in. It was a work of art.

Ponder through the week is starting to develop a relationship with his receivers. The majority of the balls were right where they had to be. I am really fired up to see him develop even more. He is showing me hope.

Cordarrelle Patterson is everything as advertised. His leaping ability to catch the ball, the routes he runs, and the ability to get off the chuck at the line are all awesome to watch. I will go one-step farther and yes, I know it is only practice but when he gets the ball on returns, he comes through that hole and seems to have a gear even higher. I am anxious to see him in preseason and show the world that “Flash” is the real deal.

The running back situation has all world, AP, Toby Gerhart, a solid backup and Matt Asiata who made the team in 2012. There is a player in camp, who is turning heads including mine. His name is Bradley Randle and he wears number 38. He is 5’7” and 190 out of UNLV. He is having a whale of a camp and I would not be surprised if he made the team.

I wrote a blog back in July about Vikings fans have reason to be optimistic. I believe I can back my words up. I have a gut feeling we are going to have a special season to remember. I have not been this excited for quite some time.

If we can stay healthy, I see no reason the NFC North cannot be ours, then the playoffs and then capped off, as Mission to Meadowlands becomes reality and we our Super Bowl Champions.

Do not forget Saturday is a walk through 10:30-111:30 and then tomorrow night is Family night. The players will be on Blakeslee Field from 7-9 and then team introduction followed by fireworks when it is dark enough.

If we have had 12,000 in the last 2 days, I will expect a huge purple crowd rocking Blakeslee Field. If you have never been to one, I encourage you to make the trip. I guarantee it will be worth the drive.

That is all from Mankato

Thanks for reading

Purplestick
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment