Sunday, August 4, 2013

A look at the Patterson, Floyd and Rhodes in week 1 of camp


The Vikings pulled off a day 1 stunner in the draft when they got not 1 guy but 3 players. It was one of most incredible draft days I have ever seen. I will never forget being at MOA field for the draft party when most fans had left thinking the Vikings were done. We know now they were not making a trade with New England and then using the pick to take Cordarrelle Patterson.

Training Camp is now half done and what I have seen thus far by these 3 number one picks thus far has me feeling good. In ran into Rick Spielman in Mankato and thanked him for such a wonderful draft. I know there has not been a game played so all I can go by is practice. I have sat through 16 practices and know these guys are the real deal.
 
 

Sharrif Floyd, who was to go as number 3 pick overall by many so called draft experts fell into the Vikes lap. I will admit the first day or day I did not notice much. They had him playing with the special teams unit loving his size and foot work. I have noticed him the last 3 to 4 days on the defensive line using his speed and power to get through the line. What excites me is Floyd having the chance to work next to the best defensive tackle in the NFL, Kevin Williams. I did get the chance to meet Floyd and get a picture with him. He seemed like a very nice guy as he took time to sign for fans and take pictures with them as well. I will assume he is not complaining about this unusual Mankato weather when he comes from Florida University.
 
 

Xavier Rhodes comes to the Vikings from Florida State University. He is the big corner the team Is looking for. He comes advertised as a physical back. I have watched him play press coverage. He is not afraid to fight for position. I have also been able to see the speed he has as well. I read one article that stated the first 3 days in pads Rhodes has been standing out. He has been sidelined the last couple of days with a hamstring issue. The feeling is he will be back soon. I am so excited to see him on one side and Chris Cook on the other. I will add A.J .Jefferson is looking good as well so maybe it will be Jefferson and Rhodes. In the end if I was a betting man I will say Cook will be other opening day starter.
 
 
 

Cordarrelle Patterson otherwise known as “Flash” may get the biggest hype of the 3 of these players. He is having a whale of a camp. He has drawn many favorable crowd reactions. He has dropped a couple but majority is catching everything. His kick return in practice has showed the fans his 2nd level. He is everything I had hoped for in the first week. His potential is in one word, scary. The possibilities are endless with what Offensive Coordinator, Bill Musgrave could do with him. They are working on end arounds with Pattterson.  The ability to go get the deep ball, the slot, the intermediate, kick and punt returns are one of the many reasons fans should be optimistic. One added tidbit as I have talked to several fans who are unanimous in saying Patterson is one of the friendliest guys in camp. He is a crowd pleaser. I am not guaranteeing an autograph for people just saying when he does stop he gives fans a good feeling and they appreciate that.
 
 

My job is to write what I see and give fans the picture so you can feel the excitement as well. I go every day and want to keep you up to date to the best of my ability.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment