Tuesday, August 6, 2013

20 down, 10 to go in Mankato


Training Camp is officially 2/3 done after Tuesday’s afternoon practice. Yes, 20 practices are in the book and only 10 left. The days left are 7th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th are all that is left here in Mankato.

I find myself every year as camp is ending kind of down. I make the trip every day spending anywhere from 4 -10 hours a day here. Then I remind myself football is just beginning. Yes, let the purple passion continue.

The Wednesday practice focused a good chunk with the 11 on 11’s working on the running game. Peterson, Gerhart, Asiata and Bradley Randle were doing carrying.

Toby Gerhart will be interesting to see what kind of year he has. Toby is a free agent after the season. The question I find myself asking is will Toby pursue money to be a lead back for another team or does he like his position as backup to Adrian. I am pulling for Toby to have a great year for the Vikings no matter what. I loved watching Gerhart when he ran at Stanford and came 2nd in the Heisman Trophy contest. I can’t think of a better set of back than our own Vikings have with AP and Gerhart.

Preseason will be big for Toby with no AP or very little if at all. Toby will get his chance behind the first string offensive line.

The Vikings practiced game type situations as they tried going 10 yards for a first down. Ponder came in and 1st down connected with AP. The next play was a sack setting up 3rd and long. Ponder dropped back to pass and hit Simpson for 20 yards and a first down.

Ponder got another chance later to do the same. First down pass to Jennings for short yards. The next 2 plays were incomplete passes setting up a 4th down in which the team went for it. Ponder dropped back and found Simpson for 20 yards and another 1st down.

Simpson made his presence known today in more ways than one. It was later in practice Simpson and Greenway got into a small skirmish. It was hot in Mankato and I am starting to see a little more edginess by the team. I can watch practice and just see the guys wanting to hit. You can feel it in the air. Yes, football is back.

Jared Allen left practice with an ankle injury and Harrison Smith twisted a knee. I ready neither injury is believed to be serious.

The team also worked a good amount of no huddle today. I thought Ponder looked very good all day until his last drive. Three plays- 1) pass should have been intercepted by Chris Cook but was dropped. 2) pass intended for AP coming out of the backfield had defensive end, George Johnson make a great break on the ball but missed the int. 3) Pass forced into double coverage.

That was a terrible serious I cannot deny. I still like way to much what Ponder has shown me to date in camp I did read somewhere the Ponder debate goes like this, those who are for Ponder will look for the positives. Those who are against will find any flaw they can in him.

I know I go to practice every day and see my share of great plays but when it comes down to it the real tell will be in the games. I will not change my stance and believe Ponder can do it. He has the weapons finally, a great offensive line and oh by the way somebody named Adrian Peterson.

A few camp notes

If you want to see a battle watch Everson Griffen vs Phil Loadholt. It is a battle

Highlight catch today

Stephen Burton over the should catch about 40 yards down field just before he stepped out of bounds

Big plays on defense

31- Bobby Felder- 2 huge pass breakups today.

One final note- Wednesday will be a huge day. It is known as running back day for autographs. The first 2000 fans will get a scratch off with 150 winning. What do they win? They will meet AP and get his autograph.

That’s all from Mankato
Thanks for reading
Purplestic

No comments:

Post a Comment