Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Big crowd, Glazer, good hands just part of Wednesday's action

JAY GLAZER,FOX SPORTS IN THE HOUSE

Wednesday’s training camp was day 5 marking the third way point of camp. I found myself with several different items to share.

I got to camp and there was already a pretty good size line waiting to get in. We had a few sprinkles as we waited to get in. The players made their appearance on the field and had only been on the field literally for no more than 5 minutes when a down pour began. The players left the field and made their way to Myers Field House. It is here where MSU has an indoor track and that is where the team conducted the morning walk through. It really is kind of depressing because they really can’t do much even though a walk through only.

Today was linebacker day for autographing. Today was the biggest crowd thus far so the weather was rather disappointing as the lines for autographs were moved outside to the inside of the field house. It seems from talking to people that Chad Greenway was the top of their wish list to meet. I had heard security that only 150 people could meet Chad.

The walk through was very plain so I used this time to look at first strings mostly on the defensive side of the ball.  It might be a walk through but the players still line up in positions. Here is what I saw: Defensive Line- Brian Robison, Kevin Williams, Fred Evans and Jared Allen. The linebackers: Marvin Mitchell, Erin Henderson, and Chad Greenway. The corners were Chris Cook and Josh Robinson and the safeties were Harrison Smith and Jamarca Sanford.

Jay Glazer from Fox was on campus today and came to the walk through as well as the afternoon practice. I waited after the 2nd practice in hopes of meeting Jay but then saw Jared Allen get into his vehicle along with Jay Glazer and they left waving to fans. I would love to meet Jay and talk football with him.  I will look again Thursday and maybe get a chance to meet him.

The afternoon practice was conducted under sunny skies and a nice breeze. Today was the first of 4 season ticket holder days which I attended with my wife. They served hot dogs, chips and a beverage and then we could watch practice.

I mentioned Tuesday was a pad popping session. Wednesday was much mellower. The practice was once again a good clip. There were no skirmishes.

One area of concern before camp started amongst many was the punting situation after Chris Kluwe was released. I have seen punts out of Jeff Locke that I find myself shaking my head in disbelief. I saw 2or3 60-70 yard punts. They are high and deep. He is also very good at dropping the ball inside the 20. I know it is early and no games have been played but I am finding myself extremely impressed with this rookie kicker.

The defensive side of the ball I once again find myself talking about cornerback, AJ Jefferson. He in this young camp is looking extremely aggressive and has a good feel for the ball. He is also back practicing kick returns. He is doing nothing thus far that is hurting him. I see positives and am encouraged he will be on the final 53 man roster.

I was concerned about another group before cam and that is the tight ends and to be more specific, John Carlson. Wednesday he gave me reason to feel good about him. He had a great pair of hands catching just about everything thrown his way. He had one drop I remember but the majority of the day he was a vacuum cleaner.

The receivers group I am truly high on maybe as high as I have been in some time. I believe Jennings, Patterson, Wright are locks. I also believe Stephen Burton and Simpson should make it. I believe Joe Webb has a shot to make it as well. He is just too athletic to let go. Wednesday afternoon Joe made a one handed catch that was thrown behind him.  He is so fun to watch. There is also a young man who is having in my opinion and awesome camp. His name is Adam Thielen , who played for Minnesota State University. If you want to see a guy who is not afraid to go to the ground to catch a ball you will want to see Adam play. The guys in this position I am the most excited to see how he does in preseason.

One note on camp as far as the bleachers goes. I don’t know how many years it has been but there have been green wood bleachers to sit on that really heat up in the hot weather. It is this year the bleachers are different and better suited for heat even though we have not had that much. My next hope is a canopy is built over them to protect us from the sun. I guess I will take what they give me.

Thursday autograph: Wide Receivers

Practice: 10:30-11:30 and 2:45-4:45

That’s all for now from Mankato

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

Purplestick.blogspot.com

Twitter- @ Purple_Stick 
 12-JEFF LOCKE
 19-ADAM THIELEN
 

No comments:

Post a Comment