Monday, August 5, 2013

Back to work Monday in Mankato


Well after living through a tough day on Sunday with no training camp, I am back in Mankato. This time of year just becomes second nature to make my daily trip west to Mankato.

A little fun fan info before I get into what I saw today. Jimmy John’s restaurant over the last few years has sent workers down to training camp offering free 2-inch samples. It is not every day but when they come it is very popular with the fans. This is my 8th day and have had 3 samples thus far.

Now into football review of what I saw today. This morning had rain so the team had their walk through inside Myers Field House. This afternoon got very humid and they were outside on the 3 practice fields.

Saturday I felt Christian Ponder looked excellent so I was interested how he would come out Monday. I really feel thus far when the 11 on 11’s and 7 ion 7’s happen Christian is to me making quicker decisions. He thus far is not running but instead a dump off pass to a running back.

I watched seven on seven and Christian in the first set went 1 for 3 with his only completion to Joe Webb. The second time through he went 3 for 3 including 2 beautiful balls to Kyle Rudolph.

Matt Cassel’s 1st series of 7 on 7 had a rough series with a ball batted down by Brian Robison. The next play Seth Olsen was at center and snapped a terrible ball with Cassel in the shotgun position. The only thing Cassel could do was fall on it.

In honesty, that was one of very few bad snaps in camp thus far. That area has been pretty clean.

The next series Cassel went two for three and his only miss was an interception by Marcus Sherels. One of his two completions was an awesome seam pass for about 20 yards.

McLeod Bethel-Thomson went two for three and the one miss was an interception by safety, Brandan Bishop off a deflection.

One observation from the defensive side of the ball was in the secondary where I saw Chris Cook line up at one corner and Jacob Lacey at the other corner. Josh Robinson was playing in the slot.

In staying with the defense, I saw Christian Ponder thrown an absolutely great ball down the seam to Kyle Rudolph with Erin Henderson in coverage. Rudolph used his height to his advantage to snag the ball over Henderson’s head. I thought it was a great catch but as I continued watching the play Henderson wrestled it away for an int. What a hustle play by Erin.

Erin has looked fast in camp and seems to be very motivated and today the play he made just exemplifies his determination to be successful at middle linebacker.

We had a little skirmish this afternoon. Joe Webb was going for a catch along the sideline when a defender hit him. The next thing I see Joe is pushing at the dback and then Kyle Rudolph hustles over there.

This is the third incident in camp and all 3 have taken me longer to write about then the incident actually lasts.

I guess in this case I like Joe not stepping back and allowing him to get pushed around. I really like the camp Joe is having and hope he continues to show the coaches his catching ability.

The subject of receivers I will say this about Greg Jennnigs and Ryan Thielen. I should just do copy and paste each day in this blog. These guys are snagging everything thrown that they feel they have a chance to get. Today, Ryan was running a route and the ball was thrown behind him. The ability to reach behind, pull it in and continue running is remarkable.

Today the ball was at the 2 with 98 yards to go and the handoff goes to AP and through the hole and gone. All we needed to hear was Paul Allen say “and he is loose.” The crowd all together cheered and then clapped.

It does not sound like AP will get touches in the preseason so I am going to just enjoy the practices.

Punter update- There was a fairly good breeze this afternoon. I watched Locke kick into the wind 50 yards and when he had the wind at his back he hit 2 out of the back of the end zone with one 70 and the other 75 yards.

That’s all from Mankato

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment