Monday, August 19, 2013

"Pondering" the future


Preseason, as we know games do not count as far as record wise goes. We see each team play their starters 1 series or even up to end of 1st quarter and maybe a little of the second.

I have listened to all weekend and even Monday people smash talking our favorite team, the Minnesota Vikings.

I repeatedly get asked at work, How can you support that poor quarterback we have in Ponder? The statements are made quite often that we have everything but a quarterback.

I might be riding an island by myself and I am ok with that. The Minnesota Vikings are my passion 365 a year.

The 1998 heartbreak, the 2009 shocker and I still bleed purple and am proud as heck of that. We the fans do not play the game, we only support it in the best that we can.

The issue in Week 1 when Ponder played 2 plays and was pulled and the talking began. I never knew 2 passes could be talked about for a week. The one completion and one interception and that one interception was beat to death as well. Was it Ponder or Simpson’s fault? Those who want Ponder on the bench will say obviously it is on Ponder. One game, 2 plays and we have enough for the papers, talk radio to discuss it to death.

We now move to week 2 and now after a loss Ponder is dissected again. The first play of scrimmage a complete whiff by left tackle, Matt Kalil and down goes Ponder.

Yes, a couple passes were complete misfires. It happens to the best of quarterbacks. I am not saying Ponder is a top 5 but I also don’t believe he is as bad as people are talking about.

I just feel preseason is set to get the players gradually into the swing of things. Yes, I will get told Seattle put up 40 on Denver. I will add I am happy for them.

I just can’t believe the amount of panic in the little bit we have seen in 2 games. I know people have told me they don’t think Ponder has the arm strength. I have seen the arm strength in camp. You don’t have to face a fierce pass rush to see if a quarterback has arm strength.

The post pass, the seam, corner routes, fade are things I have seen Ponder look good at in Mankato.

I have got a good feel from people in the Vikings fan groups that I post this blog to that are on Ponder’s side.

I really feel that Sunday night’s game in San Francisco will give fans a lot more to feel good about. The announcement that Peterson is playing will give fans a better glimpse of the 2013 offense.

I just feel Peterson gives the offense the confidence to play solid ball. 

I have seen Ponder sparkle in Mankato, and last year the last 4 games along with the 49ers game at home.

It can be done. I am not saying Ponder is going to throw 300 yards every game. We don’t need it. If he can do what he did in the last Packers game at home it will be a truly great season.

I know I may be standing on an island all by myself like I said earlier so if you want to join me there is plenty of room on this island.

The last thing this team needs is a quarterback controversy. It is my hope when the home opener vs Cleveland that the fans cheer for # 7.

I am sorry if I upset anybody but please give 7 a chance to show what he can do with all weapons at his disposal. His play will silence the critics.

I believe Coach Frazier and GM Spielman have this team going in the right direction.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment