Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sundays afternoon practice pass happy, giving the crowd a show

19-ADAM THIELEN

Sunday afternoon practice is over and in the book. It was a practice I did not want to end. The weather even turned for the better. It was a day that seemed like it would rain most of the day the way the clouds had been. The sun came through those pesky clouds and we got a sunny and humid afternoon practice.

The defensive side of the ball got good news when Xavier Rhodes and Desmond Bishop both returned to the field. It is good news considering both guys are a part of the defensive plan.

The afternoon saw Sharrif Floyd, Audie Cole and Jacob Lacey all on the sideline. Floyd we know about and today Lacey has been said to be out the next 2-4 weeks. I will keep an eye on that situation.

The team did their 11 on 11 drill and at corners were Chris Cook and Xavier Rhodes manning those positions with Josh Robinson manning the slot. I love the potential with Cook and Rhodes both being big and like to play physical. Robison and his speed will be a fun development to watch the last 3 days of camp and of course the rest of preseason.

The offensive side of the ball today was 95 percent passing. It was an unreal day with very little balls dropped in drills. I’m sure you may think they should be able to catch it. I have seen my share of drops in these drills so today I left encouraged it will be something to build on tomorrow and then keep going. They need to get the confidence. I know I did read after the game Coach Frazier wanted to stress the passing game. I definitely saw it Sunday afternoon.

The offense ran the no huddle quite a bit and Ponder started it out going 4 for 4 including a beautiful deep seam pass to Kyle Rudolph. It is as nice of ball as I have seen all camp.

Matt Cassel was not perfect but did make a throw down field that Stephen Burton in double coverage was able to adjust to the ball and bring it in drawing a cheer from the crowd.

McLeod Bethel Thompson took his turn and looked good also. His turn also involved throwing a ball down field to Adam Thielen who made an unbelievable catch in double coverage again bringing a cheer from crowd.

I loved the quarterbacks today and their accuracy. Matt Cassel did have 2 passes batted down in a row with one by Fred Evans and one by LeTroy Guion. I will say that were the only real flaws today.

Joe Webb made 2 unbelievable catches in drills with one catch he did one handed on the side line. The other he had one bounce off his hands not once but twice but thanks to his concentration hauled it in giving the fans more to cheer about.

In staying with the theme of catching I thought Kyle Rudolph had an unbelievable day. I did not see him drop one pass. His size is amazing with coverage on him. I hope this goes into the season. Rudolph’s hands are huge and his size I just can’t see team successfully defending him. I dare say even in double coverage all Ponder needs to do is keep it high enough Rudolph can snag it.

The team’s offense today also included a lot of swing passes to the running backs. I am telling you today’s theme was passing.

The day ended with situational 3rd and 3s. Ponder came up first and drew the defense off sides. Matt Cassel completed a pass to Burton for a first down. Bethel-Thompson’s turn drew the defense off sides again.   Three plays, three first downs and we call practice over.

That’s all from Mankato

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment