Thursday, August 15, 2013

Putting a wrap on camp


I would like to start by saying thank you to those who had such kind words to say when I announced I would became a grandpa for the first time on Tuesday. It was a boy. I have 4 daughters, 3 sisters and now my little grandson.

Training camp is officially over and I can say I completed 15 trips covering a little over 1300 miles in doing 88 mile round trip each day. The price of gas started at 3.63 and ended at 3.47 per gallon.

There were a total of 30 practices with only 2 held inside due to rain. The weather was awesome as we had comfortable conditions throughout. I do recall one day when I saw people in winter gloves. There were just a couple days where humidity got a little much. In the overall scheme of things I give the weather an A+

Now that camp is over I would like to give you things to think about and debate amongst yourselves.

The quarterback position- There is no doubt that Ponder is the starter. I do struggle listening to people who are in the boat of Ponder can’t make it. My thought is this; he has the weapons around so please give the man a chance to show. We need to stand behind the coaching staff and Ponder. I can’t believe how much negativity there is about number 7.

Matt Cassel- I love the fact we have a backup who has several years at this position. I love the experience he brings from Kansas City and New England.

McLeod Bethel-Thompson should make the team but I have heard a wacky idea that makes me wonder, what if? The notion to keep Joe Webb on the roster as an emergency qb, along with his ability to play receiver. Is this crazy to think? Look at last year when Sage Rosennfels was in my eyes a huge shock when he was cut.

Running back- Adrian Peterson and Gerhart are locks. I think one of the surprise players to make the 53 man roster will come from this group. I believe strongly Bradley Randle will be on the every Sunday roster. The camp he had was amazing. It is practice yet some of these guys seem to show more and this is where Randle exceeds.

Wide Receivers- I believe this will be the toughest group to make cuts. Greg Jennings, Cordarrelle Patterson, Jarius Wright and Jerome Simpson are locks. I will be shocked if Stephen Burton does not make it. It leaves Webb and Thielen also pushing for the 5th receiver. The ones fighting Burton for the roster comes down to Webb and Thielen. Webb is an amazing athlete and Thielen has amazing hands and quickness.

Tight Ends- Rudolph will be a key piece in the offense. The bigger key to me is John Carlson and what can he do to contribute. The catches he made in Mankato left me hoping this is what he will bring the regular season and why the team thought high enough of him to sign him to the big free agent money.

Offensive Line- A unit that has one year under its belt and ready for year two to be better than they already were. I am anxious to follow Jeff Baca  and Travis Bond, both 2013 draft choices. The team in the last few years has had a high percent of draft choices making the team. Let’s watch Bond (#76) and Baca (#60) and see if they become noticeable when they play in the rest of preseason.

Defensive Line- This line has the chance to be scary in the fact the sack numbers will be off the wall. I still think the guy who will have the biggest year will be Everson Griffen (#97). His engine does not have a stop button even in Mankato. He is an incredible athlete to watch in person.

The linebackers- Questions before camp such as: Can Henderson handle the middle. I say with a resounding response, YES!  The area I am most interested in here is Marvin Mitchell (#55) who has got 90-95 percent reps with the first string. Desmond Bishop signed the free agent deal is still playing 2nd string. I will watch this with great interest to see if Bishop can overtake Mitcell.

The defensive Backfield- I believe Safety, Harrison Smith will make the Pro Bowl this upcoming season. The man is in his 2nd year but already getting national attention. Chris Cook is the one with the most experience back there. This is the one area with a lot of questions. This area is so full of youth and inexperience. These guys will learn to grow together and be our hope for the future. Xavier Rhodes last Year College now this year stating corner in the NFL. Can he survive? Josh Robinson is attempting to replace not the person Antoine Winfield rather the position. This fans will be a lot to watch and then of course a lot to talk about on Mondays. I am predicting we will be talking nothing but good.

The one advantage this team has is 2013 coach of the year, Leslie Frazier in charge. I put all my faith into this guy that he will guide this 2013 team to the playoffs.

That’s all for now

Enjoy watching the Buffalo Bills game Friday

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment