Sunday, August 25, 2013

Review of the 49ers game


The game is over and now the slicing and dicing begins by media and fans. Game 3 with starters playing into the 3rd quarter gives people much more to discuss for both teams involved.

The first play of the game was already an improvement. The first play in Buffalo we see Ponder get hammered after Kalil missed a block. The game Sunday night Ponder was able to avoid a rush and launch it deep to Greg Jennings. Yes, it was incomplete but I like the thought.

The first series ends in a fumble deep in Vikings territory and the 49ers are in the red zone. I love the defense and what they did to hold the 49ers to a field goal. It involved a nice stop by Greenway and Harrison Smith on a wide run attempted by Frank Gore as he ends up losing a yard.

I loved the hustle by Brian Robison tonight. It was scary seeing a couple collisions between Jared and Robison in the backfield. It is the last thing we need to do is lose either one of these guys.

I liked Kevin Williams play including a nice knock down of a pass. It is truly unfortunate to see what the 49ers offensive linemen did to Kevin. I worry about the overnight. The camera shot we saw made it look horrific the way his knee bent in.

The Vikings took their share of dumb penalties but I felt the 49ers played a little too cheap. I know its preseason and guys are doing what they can to make the team. I can think of 2 more examples with one when Our Vikings receiver, Burton was stopped and hung up by a 49ers defender only to watch another hit the defenseless receiver helmet to helmet. The other that comes to mind is the touchdown catch by Joe Webb as he is being tackled by the face mask.

Adrian used as a decoy gave the opportunity for Toby Gerhart to get the extra carries. I thought Toby made the most of them and ran hard. The carry on 3rd and short he had no chance with the offensive line missing a block.

Matt Kalil had a tough night with too many penalties but I did like Coach Frazier decision to pull him out for a play and to cool off.

Jeff Locke had another good night. I really love his ability to pin the other team deep in their own end. I loved the hustle on one punt by A.J. Jefferson to get down the field. He made even a better play by realizing he was by the goal line and did not touch the ball allowing Loeffler to stop the ball at the 2. It was a heads up play by Jefferson.

I was shocked to hear Cris Collinsworth pay a compliment when Ponder threw a nice ball with good touch to Jerome Simpson.

My thought on Ponder is this. He showed me tonight he is not a quitter. He did not have a lot of yards passing but he has a 95.6 passer rating and went 17 for 23. The offensive line struggled so I liked his ability to stay in the pocket and run up the middle when he could.

He showed tonight his ability to find his receivers, Jennings and Simpson as they both had 2 catches for 24 yards. Jennings also made a big play drawing an interference penalty on the 49ers in the end zone. A very nice veteran play made by Jennings in drawing the flag.

Zach Line for the 3rd straight game made a great showing in hopes of making it tough on the coaches to decide if he stays or goes. Toby Gerhart made a 12 yard run and on that play who made the key block? Yes, Zach Line. The same drive Line is rewarded with a touchdown catch from Ponder.

The battle between Joe Webb and Stephen Burton goes on. We see Burton stop on a route resulting in an interception then later in the game makes a big catch on a TD drive.

Webb makes himself known as he used his big athletic body to haul in the fade pass for a TD. This battle I believe will come down to Thursday’s night game at home vs Tennessee.

Matt Asiata had a rough night in Buffalo with struggling with the blitz pick up. The TD by Line I see Asiata make a big block knocking down not just 1 by 2 49ers players. Nice play Matt

The defensive side of the ball I liked the play of Greenway including an impressive interception. I also like the game Desmond Bishop played tonight. I believe his game may keep him on the squad. He used his head wisely when he got head butted by 49ers player Hawkins. I liked his ability to not retaliate.

I do not know if I have seen a play take so many unnecessary penalties as Hawkins. 2 coming on one play with taunting and removing his helmet and then the head butt. Will he be a 49ers player this year? Or is his talent too much to overlook these mistakes and keep him?

The one player I felt the 49ers really went after was defensive back, Josh Robinson. I could believe the attempts they went after him. It was a game for Josh to look back at film to see how he can improve for the next game.

I leave you with this how about Jerome Simpson helping out with the runaway fan. The TV shot of Simpson next to Coach Frazier was that ever a sight.  It makes me wonder what is said on the sideline when something like this occurs.

A loss but I saw some improvement I was hoping for. I say bring on the Tennessee Titans up next and we will end up 1-3.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment