Saturday, August 10, 2013

Review of Preseason Game 1


The game is over and we know the score now I would like to take you back to the game and all things involved.

I have stated I have only missed 1 game in 14 years and never been late to the games I have gone to. On the way up to the game my wife got a message from a friend there was a 7-8 mile backup with cars not moving going 35N. Thank you friend as we took the back roads up taking about half hour longer than normal. All is good. I talked to a friend who did not get to the game until 8.

We got to Minneapolis about 6 so plenty of time to walk around and take in all sights purple. We went through the pregame party on the plaza and found 2 good size tents set up that were there for fans wanting to check things in and hold while the game was going since they would be allowed to bring those items in. We found it located by the light rail drop off area.
 

We then headed towards the stadium and went through the first wave of security. We had nothing that was in question to bring into the game so we were good to go. We then headed closer to the dome where the next security had us put our arms out and the person ran this hand held device making sure we did not have anything that was not allowed. I had to take my cell phone and keys out of my pockets. Ok, we are good to go in the game.

The finally step getting in the dome and watching players warm up and seeing fans file in is exciting alone.

The Vikings players make their way through the Vikings ship as the announcer says, “Here are your 2013 Minnesota Vikings.” I will say it is not the loudest I have ever heard it but for preseason it was awesome.

The National Anthem, the coin flip and now and finally is kickoff.

I have written during Training Camp how impressed I have been with Cordarrelle Patterson and now you see why.

I sit in the upper deck which I love. I saw the hole open and thought he was gone. The place for a preseason game was lit up. The rookie sensation really set a tone for his own game.

A loss did occur but I wanted to share my take on the positive and disappointments in the game

POSITIVES

-Patterson already mentioned gets an A+ in my book

-Texans on their first drive march down the field by with 3rd and 6 Houston qb Matt Schaub connects with his Hopkins; at first I thought a first down for sure but the hustle of (27) Brandon Burton catching Texans wide out, Hopkins and pushing him out of bounds leaving 2 yards short and forcing a field goal.

-The play of Stephen Burton was awesome. I would name him offensive game MVP. The catch and run of 61 yards along with his hustle up to be a blocker for the only Vikes TD of the game. His kickoff returns were decent as well. Burton is having a great camp already and now this game could help decision making.

-Blair Walsh, Jeff Locke, and Cullen Loeffler had god team work with all kicks successful. Walsh once again destroys that ball on kick offs as well.

-Jeff Locke- loved his ability to pin Houston deep. I was a little disappointed I did not see a 70 yard bomb like in Mankato. Overall, I thought Locke did a good job and I believe he will get better in games.

-Bobby Felder- he got picked on in one drive alone and when it counted down by the goal line he made a great diving knock down of a pass.

First round defensive tackle, Sharrif Floyd showed fans what he is capable of. I love his hustle and ability to knock balls down. His injury was concerning especially the way he was playing. I read he said he would be back to practice.

Some of the best news of the night came in the department of injuries. It was a clean game for those who suited up and now the 90 resume practice Sunday in Mankato.

DISAPPOINTMENTS

I won’t get worked up because these things are fixable.

-Houston had to easy of time swinging the ball out of the backfield to a running back who had running space. I believe this will be a fix when it comes to film work.

-It also seemed Houston quarterbacks were able to get the Vikes defense going the wrong way and getting easy completions. This again in my opinion is a fix through film watch and practice.

I was concerned about the backup offensive lineman not giving Bethel-Thompson and Vandenberg much time or at all.

I know the season is early and these guys are learning to work together. There are still 3 games left to figure out the continuity.

The drive home I always listen to KFAN and the call in show. A question was posed and it goes like this: Is 2 plays enough for a first string offense? It made for an interesting trip back to Owatonna.

The other question- The pass that was picked off that was intended for Simpson. Is that on Ponder or Simpson? I love to listen to all thoughts. My thought it is preseason so don’t get lathered up yet.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment