Saturday, August 3, 2013

FAMILY DAY AT TRAINING CAMP A HUGE SUCCESS ON SATURDAY




Saturday was family day at Training Camp in Mankato. The morning practice went as usual except one noticeable difference and that was the people in the stands. I looked behind me and around and it was as many people as I have ever seen for a walk through. My thought was if this many people for a walk through what will I find tonight at the scrimmage. I did talk to one lady who flew in from Denver with her son so they could attend the family day and go to the scrimmage.

Today was a rare day where Vikings Village was open all day. It usually is open from 10-noon and 2-6. It was nice to see families have access all day.

We got to our seats in Blakeselee Field around 6 pm and the stands were filling quickly. I have never seen this many people in all the years of coming. The figure I heard after the night was over was 12,000 attended the scrimmage. The last 3 days totals have been just over 25,000 fans. There is so much excitement in Mankato I can’t describe it other than the word that comes to mind is simply put, AWESOME!!

The PA announcer had asked the crowd when the Vikings players come to the field that we should shout as one unit, SKOL Vikings, Mankato loves you. It was loud but I honestly could not hear what people were saying. I think it was just too many words at once. I will say it was fun yelling.

AP came to the field to a huge 12,000 person applause and the chants of MVP rang throughout the stadium. Coach Frazier got a warm welcome as well.

The first hour was individual drills but still it was fun just to see the guys in full gear. Special Teams also worked during this period as well. We saw Jeff Locke hit bombs with punts in the range of 4.3-5.4 seconds of hang time along with a few more 60-70 yard punts that drew applause from this big crowd.

Blair Walsh went 5-8 with all kicks having plenty of distance but the 3 missed were wide. The last kick of the session went 60 and good by a long ways. I feel like Walsh will have another banner year. He just needs to get used to a new holder and that will come with practice.

One of the sights in the first part of practice had nothing to do with football. There was a rabbit that somehow got in the stadium and that poor animal ran scared with fans and players pointing. There were so many people trying to get it safely out and finally success.

The scrimmage itself, Christian Ponder continued to look sharp. He was right on target. I really like the ball he is throwing.

Greg Jennings came to play tonight making several catches including running one down in the back of the end zone.

Cordarrelle Patterson drew some reaction with his kick returns. He showed the crowd the burst he has coming through the wedge. Patterson also is showing very good hands and is showing he is not afraid to fight to get away from his defender.

Wide out Chris Summers made a great touchdown catch from MBT as Summers went up and over to take the ball away from AJ Jefferson. I did think Jefferson had very good coverage but Summers made the play.

It is what I am seeing with different players making highlight catches each day of camp. I am so antsy to see how these guys react to Mall of America Field.

Adrian Peterson did not see scrimmage time. He just participated in drills. It is time for the youngsters to show and my man, Bradley Randle made a run that made the crowd take notice. He hit the hole and was gone. I am pulling so hard for him to make the 53 man roster.

John Carlson I feel is having a great camp and tonight he supported my thought by catching 3 touchdowns. He for now is looking like a human vacuum cleaner.

I can’t ignore the defense. Two guys I thought had excellent nights were Everson Griffen and Marcus Sherels. Griffen is in beast mode coming around the edge. Sherels is looking even faster in the return game and had an interception tonight.

If this defense can stay healthy I am very excited about their potential. There were 4 guys held out of pads and they were: Desmond Bishop, Mistral Raymond, Xavier Rhodes and Nathan Williams.  All were held out for a little rest with none of the injuries serious.

The night was full of excitement and plenty of purple in the stands. The practice ended and then the team did player introductions. Each player was announced and then that player threw 2 autographed footballs into the crowd. It is a crazy sight as people are stretching for balls without falling forward or backward. The last man introduced was Adrian Peterson. The cheer he got never gets old and send chills through my body. The chant MVP just does not get old.

The darkness had finally come and with that we watched fireworks. It is an amazing sight and one of the better ones I have ever seen.

I can’t go without saying my 11 year old daughter met Adrian Peterson and got her football autographed. She has never met him. The day was a win from the time it started to the time it ended.

I thank the Vikings organization for a great day.

That’s all from Mankato

Remember-No practice Sunday

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment