Sunday, March 2, 2014

March=Free Agency- I can't wait, how about you?

Photo

The month of March is finally here and with that being said it is time to crank up the excitement as the NFL calendar brings us closer to March 11th. Yes, 3:00 CST it is a free for all as free agency will begin.

The people in Minnesota are currently living in the 3rd coldest winter in the history of the state. I feel we will feel the NFL heat as it gets hot on March 11th. I will read the internet websites and watch all the football I can to see what Minnesota does.

I came upon an article by ESPN Minnesota Vikings writer, Ben Gosseling who reported even more exciting news for Vikings fans. The fact that Minnesota will have the 4th most money to spend gets my purple blood flowing even faster.

As excited as I am about free agency it also makes me think and reflect on current Vikings free agents and the fact I may never see them in purple again. I will have my picture book as a keepsake of that player who may not be back.

The Vikings cut ties already with one of the possible free agents when they released Erin Henderson. The remainder of the list shows one true high profile player and that is Jared Allen.

The list of free agents:

Jared Allen, Charlie Johnson, Marvin Mitchell, Joe Berger, Joe Webb, J’Marcus Webb, Everson Griffen, Desmond Bishop, Chris Cook, Toby Gerhart, Fred Evans, Jerome Simpson, Matt Cassel and Kevin Williams is a long list with many possibilities.

My personal feeling is we have seen the last of Jared Allen in purple. I would love to see him back but I believe he will command a lot of money and the Vikes seem to have the theme of youth going.

Matt Cassel even though he opted out of the contract I believe the Vikes will get him back. Toby Gerhart is the most interesting free agent to me. He is a true talent but with Adrian being the man my heart tells me Toby will leave for a team that he will see more playing time.

I do feel Everson Griffen is a must to have back, He is young and two years ago he showed his tremendous upside. I do love that Brian Robison is already locked up so to have Griffen on the other side will give the team 2 speed rushers.

Kevin Williams has been a tremendous player for the Vikings and I believe the team will bring him back for a minimum of a year. I also am a fan of Fred Evans who has showed his value as a backup. I just don’t believe it will take a ton of money to bring these back.

The article write by Gosseling has the Vie thought to have roughly 23 million in salary cap room. I just feel last year was a real eye opener to what the team needs to do. The Wilf’s  remain committed to the future. I only speak for myself in saying I believe Mark and Zygi will not let me down with buying the best.

The combine is now over and with that said I will tell you I watched every minute I could. The amount of athletes that participated was awesome along with the speed of some of these guys.

I will admit the mock drafts are fun to watch but really does anyone really know? Do the teams even know?

I am pulling for a quarterback and the 3 I like are, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel and Blake Bortles. I would take anyone of those and enjoy watching them in the future wearing purple.

I am high on a quarterback but will not be shocked if the team went defense with the number 8 pick. I do not believe the team will move up especially after reading a statement from Rick Spielman who said he wants 10 picks instead of 8.

It is a time of year to dream and talk smack on what fans want. If the team takes defense first how will fans react?

I am going to enjoy the ride and whatever happens I will be there with the team supporting the heck out of them.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick
Source:Ben Gosseling ESPN Minnesota Vikings

 

No comments:

Post a Comment