Sunday, March 9, 2014

Defense gets the attention on March 9th

Sunday March 9th, the announcement came that Everson Griffen was signed a 5 year deal. I have already been reading from a few fans that believe the team overpaid. I sit on the side of the fence that likes the signing. The team has been pushing for a youth movement and now the evidence once again surfaces as Griffen remains with the team as well as earlier during last season Brian Robison was also extended. I know the argument can be made that Griffen has not been an every down player. We will see in 2014 how he performs. I love the fact that we have 2 young speed rushers that will terrorize the opposing tackles. Congrats to Everson

JASPER BRINKLEY


The team also brought back a former Vikings when Jasper Brinkley was signed to a one year deal. I love what the Vikes have with the youth of Michael Mauti, Audie Cole and Gerald Hodges. Mauti and Hodges come from an outstanding college of Penn State who seems to put very good linebackers into the league. I really liked Brinkley when he played here and was disappointed when he left for Arizona. I do not know if I see him starting right out of the gate but it is sure nice to have NFL experience like Brinkley brings. The one asset I really liked of Jasper was his toughness and able to tackle. 2014 Training camp just got that much more interesting.

The tough news out of this is the reallnes that Jared will not be back. I read a tweet from his agent that they have informed the Vikings that Jared is moving on. He is and always will be one of my favorite players that ever wore purple. I remember the chance I got to interview him at Winter Park. He is so down to earth and tells it like it is. He is one of the fan favotires in Mankato as well. The guy plays with all heart. I thank Jared for all the memories. His sack and then the act of calf roping will be never forgot. I was at the Chicago game when he broke Chris Doleman's team sack record. I wish Jared well no matter were he ends up. He is one first class guy.
Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment