Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Dome up 32 years goes down in 57 days




The dome as we loved it or not came to its final end on Sunday March 16th, 2014 with the removal of the final seating section in the west side of the dome.


The final deflation of the roof came back on January 18th and 57 days later it is over. All I will have will be memories.


I am proud to say that I did document the destruction of the dome by way of a photo album. I live a little over an hour south of Minneapolis but made 4 or 5 trips to take pictures and look in amazement.


I actually enjoyed standing at the same vantage point and taking the pictures. I stood by Hubert’s Bar and shot pictures from that angle and went over to north of the stadium at stood in the parking lot of the Dome Plus store and shot pictures as well. It was amazing to look at the pictures and see just how much was accomplished between each time I could get there.


It was an emotional journey watching this. I am truly excited for the future yet can’t help but think of all the good times I had with family and friends.


I was notified by the Vikings recently that my wife and my seats are considered zone 12 meaning we have to wait until next December or January before we can talk to the reps about our seats in the new stadium.


I would like to mention that the amount of reading I do found some interesting info I would like to pass on to anyone interested in what is going to happen to the remains of the dome.


Mortenson Construction has announced the following recycling facts related to the ongoing demolition process:


  • More than 80% of the Metrodome’s steel and concrete will be recycled.
  • 80,000 tons of concrete will be recycled for use in other building projects.
  • 2,500 tons of structural steel have been reclaimed and are being prepped for recycling off-site; 2,000 tons of steel remain in the existing structure and will be recycled.
  • 25 tons of precious metals have been recycled.
  • 300 tons of roof cables have been recycled.
  • 120 tons (240,000 pounds) of cast iron and 75 tons (150,000) pounds of plastic have been recycled from the Metrodome seats that were not sold.
    Thanks for reading
    Purplestick
     

No comments:

Post a Comment