Tuesday, July 3, 2012

10 weeks and counting

I do not want to rush the summer away, however a fact was pointed out. I read as of Sunday July 1 there are 10 more Sundays until the NFL kicks off the season. It  feels although we just watched the New York Giants hoist the Lombardi trophy and here we go again with a new season. Yet, before the season can begin teams need training camp.

I got my email from the Vikings that the season ticket holder days are on July 31 and August 1 at Training Camp. It is really a neat day as in the past breakfast items and drinks were provided. The key is to get my RSVP back quickly because it does seem to fill up.

Some thoughts on camp come from a Vikings writer I really enjoy reading and that is Mike Wobschall. I have met him in the press box a few times. He is really a nice guy to talk to and is very knowlegdable. He comes across very genuine and a true professional at what he does. I want to give a little background on what I have seen in Mankato before I get into Mike's points.

A couple of seasons ago when Coach Frazier came to his first camp I will never forget what I saw and heard. Coach pulls into the Gage Tower parking lot and the media went to get some interviews. He told them they must wait because he was going to come over and meet the fans and sign some autographs. He did just so.

The belief I have is Coach knows football is a business but making the time for fans is important to. I talked to one of the coaches who said Coach wants us to show the fans that we appreciate them. It has been evident in my eyes the last 2 camps. Yes, there are people that may disagree with me. I love talking to people and what I hear is how fun camp is.

Mike Wobschall brings up a point to support my thought as the morning walk throughs may allow for better autograph access because of the light practice.Remember there is never a guarantee, just hope. It has been traditionally where the morning have been hot and players come off worn out. I agree with Mike on this potential.

The fans also may want to stay longer. The desire to want to come in for the morning practice, maybe meet their hero, and still wait until the 3:00 practice will be interesting to see. The past years I have talked to people who come just to see some pad popping and go.

The avid fan I am do also talk to people to see what time they get to camp and get in line to get in. The past again gates open at 8:45 or so. I have talked to people who get there anywhere between 6-6:30. They wait to get in and when the gates open they go to autograph ally and wait for pratice to get over. You sometimes may also be able to watch practice along the fence while you are waiting as well. I do not know what this year brings I am just telling you about the past years. It is simply mind boggling what fans will do to meet the player they are hoping to meet.

The other feature of camp we will not see is a practice for special teams only. Once again I am reminded by reading Mike's article. The entire team will pratice so special teams will go to their section of the field. It will be strange not see just special teams in the afternoon. I thank Mike for his wisdom as it helps me as well when I make my journey to Mankato Thursday July 26th when the team moves in.

I took 100 hours of vacation for this event and I am more than ready for 2012 after watching the last 2 unsuccessful campaigns. Go Vikes

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

1 comment:

  1. It should be a great training camp this year!I like the change of practices being held in the afternoon, it should make camp a little more interesting. It also won't be as hot for the guys on the field, which is a good thing. See you in 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete