Thursday, July 5, 2012

Vikings fan for life

The question I get asked most often is how can you cheer for the Vikings they always dissapoint. It may be easy to think that way but a true fan keeps their hopes alive.

The 1998 season finishing 15-1 and ending up in the loss to Atlanta in the NFC Championship game was extremly hard to swallow. I will never forget Coach Dan Reeves and the Falcons dancing the dirty bird on the stage on the Metrodome Field. It was a tough drive home thinking all the what ifs. Randy Moss came on the scene and what a year.

The year the New York Giants beat the Vikings 41-0 in the NFC Championship was not as hard to take with the blowout. They did make it farther than 28 other teams is how I looked at it in trying positive.

The year Arizona Cardinals knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs with the pushout of the end zone catch. I will never forget I was in Wisconsin for Christmas and that game was not on TV. I just got to see the replay that was hard to forget for some time. The drive home listening to the radio was gut wrenching as they talked about the loss, but I survived.

The NFC Championship game in New Orleans was a game dominated by the Vikings but too many turnovers, 12 man in a hiddle. I was in attendance and boy was that plane ride home qiuet. Brett Favre came on the scene that year and it was a year never to forget. That might be one of the strangest events when Brett came to town. I was so against it as I have booed him for years. I did some player interviews in the locker room that year. Brett was off limits to me but I still watched and my feelings changed. He had such a kid like personality with the guys. You could just see how the players took him in. I learned to have such respect for a guy who just wants to have fun. In my heart when he played for the Packers I knew he was so good but I still had to boo because he was from the Packers. I was at the dome when Brett threw the NFL all time touchdown for the Packers. I stood up and clapped for him.

The off season can be tough but when the draft comes around it is time for some football. I love my Vikings and all the memories they give me. I feel I get closer to the team simply with the amount of time I put in at camp. In watching the day to day battles in practice. The meeting the players and coaches. I am faithful win or lose.

I am proud of my purple collection. I live in Minnesota and believe in supporting Minnesota teams. It sometimes can be such a stress reliever from the every day challenges. It is 3 hours out of my week I can focus on team and after deal with whatever I need to after. The Monday conversations are so fun. There are so many Monday morning quarterbacks in the world. It seems every one has the answer.

The NFL is the best sport in America. There are 32 teams to chose from and I pick the Purple to show my allegiance. I am not saying I enjoy watching a loss but I am proud I watch from beginning to end and do not stop cheering.

I will even admit for Christmas I stood in line to see Santa with my kids and we waited 2 hours. I embarrased my kids by asking Santa if the Vikings can win the Super Bowl. He said he does not provide miracles. It was worth my time waiting because sometimes in life you need to do the unexpected. My kids will never forget.

I will say the crowds in Mankato before 1998 was not much but ever since the people come in droves. The sight of purple all over Mankato is beautiful and never gets old.

In each game there is a winner and a loser I just hope each Sunday the Purple get the W. I will be there no matter what.Please join me as our faithfulness will not waver rather get stronger.

Thank for reading
Purplestick



No comments:

Post a Comment