Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A story never to forget

Korey Stringer's death came on August 1, 2001. Mike Tice was the head coach. One thing amongst many to fondly remember Korey was his passion for people and specifically kids. The time and effort he put in signing for people was unbelievable.

I was over in Mankato the next season for another training camp. I will never forget when Coach Mike Tice came over to me. He said "I know you are a big fan as I see you every day." He next said "go across the street and stand by the fence line by the practice fields." I asked him why. He just said "I can not say other than a surprise will happen."

I made my way over and was watching the players stretch out on the practice field. The next thing I know the sprinkler system went off with the players getting wet and running away from the water. It just looked so funny players trying to avoid getting any wetter.

The next thing I see is the whole team started walking towards the fence where I was standing. The team lined up single file from one end of the fence to the other and began signing autographs for people.

The first 2 players that came to me were Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss. I was in shock. Randy said, "What do you have for me to sign?" I had nothing the only thing I could think of was to ask for a picture with him. He told me I do not do pictures. I was so excited to see a star so close up that was my memory for the day.

I found out later that Coach Tice wanted to honor Korey's memory and his love for people. Mike had the entire team sign for fans in honor of Korey on the 1st year anniversary of the loss of a great person.

It will be a day never to forget. The people that were there were in heaven getting a chance to meet the players close up.

Life is full of memories and this will go down as a day never to forget.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment