Saturday, July 14, 2012

Interesting year for the running backs

2011 season the Vikings had all everything Adrian Peterson go down for the season giving backup Toby Gerhart a chance to shine.

I felt Toby really took advantage and showed why the Vikings took him so high. Gerhart a Heisman Trophy runner up in college came to the Vikings an awesome gift. AP and Gerhart a 1-2 puch. We are set and then AP goes down and Gerhart goes down to end the season.

The thought is both will be back with Gerhart sounding as though he will be ready and I have read like most of you AP will be back for week 1.

This is encouraging news but the team nust have a plan if something happens along the way.

The free agent signing of Lex Hilliard was a mild surprise to me coming from a 3 year stint with the Miami Dolphins. His stats are very little to speak of but staying in the thought of the roster. It is 80 percent turnover so many players really have a chance more than ever to claim a spot on the 53 man roster. I wish Lex the best in Mankato.

Jordan Todman coming to Minnesota from San Diego. He was 6th round draft choice and made the 53 man roster the first 6 weeks and then ended the season on the practice squad. If he can play anything like he did back at Connecticut University my feeling is we have a dark horse who is going to make a difference. He is smaller but quick. This is my pick to make the team coming ot of Mankato.

Lorenzo Booker not coming back this season I was surprised but as I have read NFL stands for (Not for Long). Todays NFL world is hard for fans to get to know their players because here today,gome tomorrow. Yes you have guys we expect each season such as a Jared Allen,AP, Ponder and few more. It is like a pie being 65 percent made it is the 35 percent that is hard to find to complete the pie.

I would like to add one note on Adrian Peterson. I won a chance to meet him at training camp a couple of years ago.One feature often mentioned with Peterson is his hand grip. I feel I have a good hand shake but that day Peterson crushed my hand. It was so amazing to feel that strength. He was so nice and later that day I got a picture with him.

I find when at camp and you hear people screaming players names the one thing I notice with Adrian is he acknowledges fans by waving and smiling.

The position of fullback will be a battle this camp. Jerome Felton comes to Minnesota as a free agent. He will have the most NFL experience. He also is 246 pounds making him the biggest trying for a spot.

Matt Asiata, a 2011 rookie free agent comes back for a seond crack at making the team.
He is the lightest at 220 trying for this position.

Ryan D'Imperio I think a lot of and specifically his attitude. He came to the Vikings drafted from Rutgers University. He played all 4 years in college as a linebacker and has made the transition in the NFL to fullback. I got a chance to interview him last season at Winter Park. I asked im about the position change. He told me the Vikings had called him before the draft and asked him about this change. He said he was willing to do whatever it took to help a team. This young man looked me in the eyes as he was saying this. As a fan this is the kind of player I want on the Vikings.

I hate to repeat myself but this camp for all positions is wide open for players to come to make a difference. I come to camp each year trying to precict the 53 man roster. This going to be my 19th straight camp and will be the most fun to watch with all the new players trying to earn their keep.

Next up: Defensive Line

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment