Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 3- Monday morning interesting conversation

Om Monday July 30 I got to camp around 9 am and saw there were probably already 50 people waiting to get into camp. I went over and stood across the street from the locker rooms to get pictures of players coming to practice. There are 90 players in camp and in the first 2 days I have taken pictures of 70 players with 20 left to take.

I was waiting and happen to be standing by a man and woman who I struck up a conversation with. I come to find out when I introduced myself and they intoduced themselves their last name was Fusco. Their son Brandon is in his 2nd season with the Vikings. This was awesome as this is the first time I have ever met a player's parents. Their names were Steve and Debbie Fusco. Steve and I are the same age which I thought was cool. They flew in from Pennsylvania for the week to see their son.

They were so wonderful as we talked about Brandon and the day he was drafted. Steve had told me that Brandon hads his pro day at Lehigh University. There were 27 teams at his pro day. Brandon was the center for Slippery Rock college in Pennsylvania. His dad told also me that Brandon had played guard in high school.

The weekend of the draft we discussed in great detail. Brandon's family hosted a party for 400 people as they waited patiently for Brandon's name to be called. Then finally Scott told me that 3:30 on day 3 Brandon got the call he has been waiting for. I asked who called Brandon. Steve told me Vikings Offensive Line Coach Jeff Davidson called Brandon to tell him that the Vikings will be taking him. Steve then also said after Davidson talked to Brandon, Coach Frazier and Rick Spielman also talked to Brandon. He was taken in the 6th round and was the 3rd of 5 centers taken in the draft. I also found out that the name is announced on TV about 10 minutes after the player already has been informed.

Steve and Deb also told me Brandon has a twin brother who had played rugby but is smaller than Brandon. They also told me they have made arrangements to make it to 13-14 games this season including road games. They wear their Fusco jerseys with pride.

Steve and Deb were absolutely awesome to visit with and you could tell they were so proud of their son. They came across as very humble as they also said Brandon is as well. Brandon has worked so hard he is first unit offensive line along with Phil Loadholt,John Sullivan,Charlie Johnson and Matt Kalil.

I have watched every hour of the draft for years but to talk to someone who has lived through it was a huge highlight of the 2012 Training Camp so far.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment