Thursday, December 13, 2012

Reflecting back to December 12,2010

On Wednesday Dec ember 12th marked the 2 year anniversary of the Metrodome roof collapse. Who can forget the 16-17 inches of snow we got that year? The videos that were shown on TV of the collapse were incredible. The life of being a Vikings season ticket holder and the stories we have to remember just goes on. It was an awful event, but the plus is no one thankfully was killed.

The game this past Sunday against the Bears brought back memories of 2010.The fans Sunday were sitting in the dome as 12 inches of snow had fell and the new roof came through and protected the 64,000 fans. I know I for one did not have any fear of bad happenings, rather the game and its intenseness really kept me from thinking about it.

The 2010 season ended up so deflating after the 2009 run the team had ending in New Orleans. The time frame that the stadium could not be used I made the best of things and made my own memories with a lot of pictures from different events.

My wife and I attended the Monday Dec ember 20th game at TCF Bank Stadium against the Bears. I will never forget the trip up to Minneapolis in a snow storm. The game itself ended in a Vikings loss but still was truly memorable. It was the first outside football game in Minnesota in 30 years.

I will never forget workers on the field with leaf blowers walking up and down the yard lines and trying to keep them clear before the game. The usual Metrodome paper airplanes from the upper deck instead were snowballs thrown from all around at TCF Stadium. It was a chance of a lifetime to be part of history that night and was worth every second of the night.

On April 13, 2011 I went to the Metrodome and paid 4.00 to take a tour of the stadium with the roof still a mess. I received a piece of the roof as a souvenir. The tour took us throughout the stadium and all I could say is oh my goodness. The field turf was up and covered by plywood. The amounts of water where the field was incredible and will never forget. I took a ton of pictures this day. The best picture I took was the IDS tower as I could see it through the hole in the roof. The light fixtures’ dangling was a sight. All I could think of was how much work needed to be done and how long will it take.

The job got done and once again we can enjoy Mall of America Field. It was an event Minnesota Vikings fans will never forget.

I would like to thank the Zygi Wilf and the Vikings organization along with all the workers it took to get the stadium ready for another season of Vikings football

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment