Sunday, December 2, 2012

Frustration and questions after tough loss

The game is over and all I can say is this week will be a huge talker week about the play of Christian Ponder. It would be a long blog I could write about the frustration we are watching so I will let the media and other fans hammer away. The two words I have are disappointed and frustrated and leave it at that.

I have so many thoughts on what we just watched and I will begin with this was a game that was absolutely winnable. The Packers are so hurt on the offensive line yet they have a huge running game. The Vikings defense is on the field 2 games in a row of over 37 minutes. This is unacceptable.

The number of offsides by the defensive line was very disappointing. I have not played football so it might be easy to say but if the guys would have watched the football and not go by the quarterbacks hard count would have made life on the road a little easier.

I just felt Aaron Rodgers just did not look comfortable almost like he was nervous he was going to get hammered. He made the plays when he had to and that is why he is a good quarterback. The Packers receivers were working their way and finding the opening.

I really thought maybe the biggest swing of momentums came in the second quarter. The Vikings are winning 14-10 and the Packers quarterback Rodgers gets picked off by Jared Allen deep in Packers territory. I jumped off my couch in excitement thinking this is exactly what we need. Wow, hold the horses as the Vikings were called for roughing the quarterback which I thought was questionable. Troy Aikman even made a point to say he did not think so either. It is only a thought and too late now. I was just thinking after the game, what if?

The other back breaker amongst many would come from Packers kicker Mason Crosby. It was early in the game when he banked one of the upright and in and then at half he shanks a kick badly. The Packers I thought were going to go for fourth and 7 and then the fate of Crosby’s future may have changed as he makes the 47 yarder. It was at this point of the game even though the Vikes were still up 14-13 that this is what get the Packers fired up. If he would have missed this and the fans would have been irate wouldn’t that have been great? It just was not meant to happen.

The play of Adrian Peterson once again is incredible. The running back who just does not quit is a subject is so fun to talk about. Teams know all the Vikings have for now is Adrian’s running ability. The teams including the Packers put 9-10 on the line and he still get through.

The runs he had were amazing but on 2 of his long hard runs ended with 2 plays later an interception being thrown.

The stats coming out of the game were just Vikings fans luck. The stat since the year 2000 teams that have a running back go for 200 yards, are 57-2 and now after Sunday 57-3. I found even later that since the year 1960 teams that have running back with over 2000 have only lost 7 games.

I have twitter and follow many media and boy were the tweets flying about Peterson and the thoughts of what he brings.

I found one tweet that said the Vikings should bring in another offensive lineman, bench Ponder and snap the ball to Peterson. This sums up about as many tweets and thoughts by fans.

The talk of the receivers not being able to get open I believe seems to be valid. I was shocked to see Adrian Peterson on a long pass. The fact he was so open only to have the ball underthrown. What if the ball was 2 yards deeper or so? I say, touchdown but again only speculation in a loss.

The other running back running a deep route with Toby Gerhart who I believe was open as well. What a crazy sight was seeing the receivers not get open yet the two running backs run deep routes.

It was nice to see Jerome Simpson catch two balls even though too late but after last week I was happy for him. I also enjoyed Kyle Rudolph make a touchdown catch and do a Lambeau leap.

On the passing theme I watched the game and did not realize that it had been 39 game minutes since Ponder had made a completion. Also the broadcast team point out the last time a wide receiver did not have a catch was back in 2002 done by Houston.

I get teased quite often about why I follow this team when all they do is disappoint. I cannot deny at times I do feel bad but I am a fan and will always be proud of that fact. We the fans do not win or lose the game but it sure is a better feel to watch a win.

One of the areas I would like to give a compliment to is to special teams with the punt team. I love Kluwe’s punts today and even better was the coverage team did on holding Randall Cobb in check.

The miss by Blair Walsh at the 2:00 mark kind of summed up the theme of the game. The guy has had a fabulous season thus far and I do not blame him. It just was a day of frustration.

The Packers-Vikings fans today will have a lot of talking to do all week. I cannot wait for the rematch the last game of the year home at Mall of America Field.
The game is over and I went to listen to the KFAN call in show and Corey Cove says “Welcome to Christian Ponder call in show.”

Tomorrow at work will not be fun but oh well it is part of being a fan. My thought is game lost; bring on the Bears where we are 5-1 at home. The Vikings are still in the playoff hunt.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment