Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Adding my two cents on AP for MVP

My thoughts on Adrian Peterson are many just like most NFL fans in the world. A perk of being a season ticket holder is the fact I can watch him in person each home game.
The award in Peterson's case should be named WAR (watch Adrian run).

I was at the game against the San Diego Chargers when Peterson ran for the NFL record of 296 yards. It is a weird feeling knowing I just watched NFL history, yet did not really being at the game. I knew it was a lot but not until I got in my car did I really find the actual totals. Thanks to my station, KFAN that I listen to religiously each game day the stat was revealed.

I also had the pleasure to meet Adrian Peterson a couple years ago. It was running back day at Training Camp and they have what is called scratch off day. The first 2000 fans that enter the gate are given a scratch off with 150 winners. It was my lucky day as I won and went through and had the privilege in meeting him. The fact that is often talked about is the hand strength of AP. The talk that is you ever get to shake his hand you will be impressed with the power as he shakes. Well I put my hand out to shake and even though I was told I was still in awe of the man’s strength.

This 2012 training camp I was coming out of Kwik Trip and got into my car when Adrian Peterson pulls up next to my car. The next scene was something I will never forget. It was like flies on honey. I was just about to back out of the parking when Adrian got out and stood next to my car as people just swarmed him. I sat in my car and just watched as Adrian instead of shooing people away did the opposite. He stood and took pictures with fans and signed autographs for people. I could see his face and I saw nothing but smiles. I do not know if there was an employee left in Kwik Trip working as they too seemed to be coming out to meet this man.

On Wednesday I read about the fact that Adrian partnered with Mall of America and gave 1812 toys to the Salvation Army. The number 1812 matched his yardage totals thus far.
The Ed Block Courage award given Adrian for a reason as part of the award has to do with the community. I know Mankato may not be part of the community that they mean but in my heart it is partly true. The Salvation Army just another example of what kind of man this is.

It was last season in Washington we saw this man go down and had to ask will he ever be the same. Well, we are find out the answer and that is no. He is not the same, he is even better.

The comeback player of the year and MVP are just a couple of awards he will be up for. The Pro Bowl will be a definite.

Payton Manning will be tough to go against for comeback player of the award. I would be ok if they shared the award because NFL we are seeing incredible comebacks.

I see no other choice but to give the MVP award to Adrian. I will repeat what has been said, a team puts anywhere from 8-10 players up to the line but to no avail. The 8 straight 100 yard games with 2 of those being 200 yards are numbers we just cannot make up.

The lack of a high powered passing attack allowing team really to focus more on stopping the run and they still can’t stop him. There should not even be a doubt that the 2012 MVP should be. ADRIAN PETERSON

The fact he is 294 yards away from Eric Dickerson’s NFL record or also 188 away from becoming only the 7th running back to gain 2000 yards. How many running backs have there been in the NFL with hundreds over the years and yet only 6 have done it and now on the verge of the 7th with Adrian Peterson.

It’s been a fun year as we are watching this young team go from 3 wins to 8 already and a man who is coming back from major knee surgery on the verge of records. We as Vikings fans should be thankful he is running for the Purple. No matter what happens the rest of the season it has been an amazing story. Thank you Adrian for all the memories you are giving your fans.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick



No comments:

Post a Comment