Friday, December 14, 2012

A win is a must

The game Sunday for all intense purposes is a playoff like game between the Vikings and Rams. As a dedicated fan that has seen my share of highs and then the last two seasons the lows to even mention the word playoffs is awesome. A game in December that is meaningful is absolutely something to be hyped up for.

The St. Louis Rams have been installed as a favorite by 3 points. The records are close it is just a matter of what team wants it more.

I love reading about the NFL and the history of the greatest sport in the world. This history is I found has to do with Sunday’s referee, Al Riveron, who is one of the more recent refs added due to retirements. Al became a ref in 2008. He is the first referee of Hispanic origin in the NFL.

The Rams had come into their week 9 bye with a 3-5 record. I know when the schedule originally came out I believed the Vikings will get a win. I still am in the belief but the way the Rams are playing the Vikings will need to bring their A game from all 53 players. The Rams have gone 3-1 the last 4 weeks and have played the 49ers twice with a tie and a victory in overtime. These young Rams are being led by one of my favorite coaches, Jeff Fisher. I liked him when he coached Tennessee. I just think the guy knows how to get a team to compete but hopefully Sunday he takes a day off and we see a Vikings victory.

The Vikings passing game is the talk of not only Minnesota fans but also the national media. It is painful to listen to but I still feel Christian Ponder has it in him to get the job done. He along with the offensive line will have their hands full as the Rams are ranked second in the NFL with 39 sacks. The 2 defensive ends for the Rams, Robert Quinn and Chris Long are both racking up sacks so Phil Loadholt and Matt Kalil need to play their best game of the year. It is a playoff feeling so I am excited to see how the Vikes react to this pass rush.

This game features two of the best running backs in the league with the Rams’ Steven Jackson and our very own Adrian Peterson. There has been an unsung hero for the Vikings that is really having a fantastic year. There are no stats to really talk about, but this man has been huge in helping create holes for Adrian and that is Fullback Jerome Felton.

This game also features matchup of some youngsters. The first two are in the secondary with one from each team. The Vikings Harrison Smith has had 3 interceptions with 2 returned for touchdowns. The Rams have rookie Janoris Jenkins out of the University of North Alabama. He has 3 interceptions and 2 also returned for touchdowns. It will be fun to see which of these 2 players makes the more plays.

The kickers are also interesting with both being rookies and drafted in the 6th round this past 2012 draft. The Vikings Blair Walsh’s cannon leg not only by all his touchbacks but he is 5-5 on 50 or more yards. The Rams have their own cannon, Steve Zeurelin. He is 5-8 in 50 or more yards but he is also an NFL record holder by kicking a 50 plus and 60 yards in the same game. What if the game came down to a field goal to win it? Which rookie kicker would not get rattled? I believe in Walsh. I even took him in my fantasy draft and was questioned by my fellow drafters. I was a gut feeling after watching training camp. I drafted him and it has paid off.

The Rams have number 1 overall pick in 2010 Sam Bradford running the show. He is accurate and lately throwing more touchdown than interceptions. Jared Allen, Brian Robison and the rest of the D need to make this young quarterback run for everything he is worth and force him to make bad decisions. I just believe the Vies defense will come to play. The veteran leadership needs to step up with Jared and Antoine Winfield leading the way. These guys are not getting any younger and know the playoffs are within reach but must win the remaining three.

It can be done and I for one am a believer the Vikings can get it done.

In other thoughts not relating to the game the Pro Bowl voting is still on going and I like what I am seeing. Matt Kalil is the leading vote getter for tackle. Adrian Peterson and Houston’s Arian Foster are the top two vote getters for running back. The Packers John Kuhn is the leading vote getter for fullback so I am hoping we can get enough votes for Felton to overtake Kuhn. Jared Allen is leading for defensive ends.

The NFC North is doing well with the Bears and Packers having guys in the lead. The voting is not over but still exciting to see Vikings players doing well.

I am pumped for Sunday at noon with a win and go to 8-6. I believe the Vikes will win a close game 24-21.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment