Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 1- speed on display


The day is finally here as I made my way to Mankato with so much anticipation of excitement. There is nothing like a day in Mankato watching the boys practice twice a day.

The day started out strange as far as weather goes. I have gone so many years and baked my brains out in the hot Mankato sun. Today as you may already know was as cool as I can ever remember. My car temp said 67 outside. The wind was strong and cold.  I should welcome that after days of coming home sick from the heat.

The other strange sight or should I say no sight was the Gage Towers no longer there. All the years of watching practice from the bleachers with the dorms in the background are no more. In the background we now see piles of rubble.

The other strange sights of the day to name a couple was a new number 26 running around in the defensive backfield and Joe Webb running receiving routes. I know he has changed positions but still to see it will take a little getting used to.

It was only day 1 so I did not know what to expect. What I took out of today was signs of potential.  We see Cordarrelle Patterson on TV and highlights but to see him in person really made me realize just how big this guy really is. The speed that is advertised with him as far todays goes he did not disappoint. I saw a burst that really made me excited. The name, “Flash” he gave himself I can see why. The man ran routes that made the defenders at time look silly.  He also came across the middle to snag a ball. I know it is only day 1 so I have to curb the excitement. Oh oh , too late I am pumped to see more out of 84.

The receiver’s corp may be as fast as we have had in years. Simpson showed blazing speed at times. Jarius Wright used his speed to catch a deep sideline pass. Joe Webb looked good as well. This is going to be a fun area to watch. These men are fast and now we must see the catching ability on a consistent basis.

Greg Jennings was absolutely amazing to see in purple. The experience he brings in immeasurable. This will be fun to watch at camp to see what help he can bring to the youth in this area. Greg is a proven receiver and a dang good route runner.

I cannot believe I am saying this but I felt Adrian looked faster coming out of the backfield. I talked to another fan who agreed. Can it be? AP faster?  It was awesome to see Jerome Felton lined up in front of AP.  Two Pro Bowlers in the backfield, does it really get any better,

As far as the quarterbacks I found myself fascinated with Matt Cassel and McLeod Bethel Thompson.  Ponder is the starter but I want to check out what we have in backups. I was very impressed with Cassel. His throws were on the money and he also showed some escape ability.  This is one thing I really like about from Ponders’s game is his speed. I know MBT is third string and may not get any snaps in the regular season but I wish you guys could see what I see. His release is so amazingly quick. He is so accurate. I just hope the team keeps him. I really think if he got the chance he would show what I see at practice. I remember last training camp I had the same thought. It will be a mistake if we let him go.

The defensive side of the ball I noticed the first string linebackers were Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson and Marvin Mitchell. Desmond Bishop was playing with the 2nd string. I will not make too much of this since it was only day 1.Bishop is coming off an injury so I am sure the team wants to be careful with him.

It was awesome to see ex-Packers Jennings and Bishop in Purple. It looked like a natural fit. If they can help at all beat the Packers it would be awesome.

I witnessed after practice a nice site as players were crossing the street from the practice field to the locker rooms. Greg Jennings was coming with Xavier Rhodes. My thought was this, If Jennings can help Rhodes at all on defending receivers it would be a boost. I could not hear them talk of course it was only thoughts going through my head. A man who has valuable NFL experience giving a rookie defender some thoughts on what works against receivers was my thought. I of course could be wrong it was only a hope.

If you have ever been to Mankato you know there is a fence around the locker room area where fans line along and scream there bloody lungs out in hopes of a player or 2 coming to sign an autograph. Today was a jackpot when Matt Cassel and AP stopped to sign a few. If you want to see people run it occurs when Peterson stops. I see it every year and it never gets old. The smiles on peoples face or the disappointment when it comes to meeting these players is just part of the camp experience.

That’s all from day 1

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment