Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Ponder, a popular talker in Mankato


I am in Mankato waiting out a rainstorm so I thought I would take time to give some thoughts on a popular topic here in Mankato. The topic is Christian Ponder and will he or won’t he be the man to lead the team?

Yes, there were some awful stats games last year with less than 100 hundreds. Yes, the playoff shocker, when it seemed a last minute call to start Joe Webb and leave Ponder on the bench due to an injury.

The offseason I have heard many football experts not believing Ponder will be the man. It even started the year he was drafted. I remember being at the draft party when Commissioner Goodell called Ponder’s name, the reception by Vikings fans was not exactly warm.

The first 3 days of camp, I have heard an overwhelming negative attitude towards Ponder. I hear comments in the stands when a bad throw is made. I was sitting behind a young boy who I am guessing 6 or 7 years old as we watched practice and Ponder overthrew his intended receiver. The little boy said to his dad, “Is he in trouble”? The crowd got a charge out of this kid.

My thought on this subject is as follows. I believe in Ponder. I saw four games out of him towards the end that showed me hope. The 49ers game early in the 2012 season he looked good as well.

I like what Matt Cassel brings to the team but a quarterback controversy is the last thing this team needs.

We have the best running back in the league, and now we have as good of receivers as we have had in a long time. The tight ends will be huge to have.

I have not seen a consistency as of yet in Ponder but I believe it will come. I come eager every day to watch his progress. I might be in the minority in supporting Ponder but I believe he can do it.

I am not saying you should take him top in your fantasy leagues but I do believe he is good enough to get the 200-yard games with 1-2 touchdowns per game.

I know AP is after the 2500-yard mark but I also believe Ponder will contribute better and more often.

One thing I believe in amongst many things is the addition of Greg Jennings will benefit Ponder more than anything. I watch as Jennings looks up Ponder on the sideline to discuss what Jennings think will help.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment