Tuesday, July 30, 2013

SPIRITED PRACTICE TUESDAY AFTERNOON

11-WRIGHT
84-PATTERSON
11-BURTON
A day that started out rainy on the way over ended up being an overcast day with no rain. It was a nice cool day with plenty of clouds.
The afternoon practice was awesome to watch. The intensity was there. The guys yelling after made plays or great defensive plays was everything I hope for each day. The competitive spirit was in high gear.
I had just made a comment to a fan I feel there is going to be a skirmish as players were pad popping pretty good. My feeling became a reality as I saw a large group of men in a large huddle and out of it comes Defensive End, D’Aundre Reed without his helmet. I could not see who was involved. It subsided as fast as it started.
The pace of the practice once again was quick and organized. I felt today was the best quarterback to receiver yet. There were some great connections. Once again, Stephen Burton had a day again.
I love the one on ones with receivers trying to get off the line against the defender. Joe Webb on one play fought and fought and got away to make the catch.
I thought Ponder looked a little sharper today. The last play of the practice ended with a touchdown from Ponder to John Carlson.
The subject of John after a disappointing 2012 for him I am seeing him make catches and using his big body to his advantage.
This receiving group might be the toughest for coaches to decide on who stays. Former MSU Adam Thielen continues to impress me with his catching ability. He is not afraid to work his way open either.
The subject of receivers we must also look at the defensive backs. It is tough as a fan because if a receiver makes a catch, that is great however that means the defense got beat which is not great. It is hard because you want both to be successful yet they cannot.
I am watching the defensive backs and two stick out to me thus far. A.J. Jefferson is having a nice camp and the last couple of days Jacob Lacey seems to have a nose for the ball. Today Jarius Wright went deep and was open for a second but the hustle by Jefferson paid off. He dove to break up the ball causing it to deflect into the open arms of Robert Blanton who took it back for six.
We saw some great goal line action and what I saw was a fired up defense. The majority of the practice the defensive line really played stout defense. If you could hear Jamarca Sanford yell it would fire you up as well. The guys jumping on each other after stops, the high fiving was awesome. I am so ready for the games.
The spirit the team showed today makes me want tomorrow to come today. The practice is over and the players are off to meetings.
The day was well worth coming to for fans. The crowd was a good size crowd probably the biggest of this camp early on. They were treated to many sounds of pad popping and guys offensively and defensively showing spirit.
One thing I should mention is there have been no major injuries thus far. It has been a clean camp thus far.
That’s all for now from Mankato
Thanks for reading
Purplestick
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment