Monday, July 29, 2013

Players in pads, good weather just part of Monday in Mankato

 

Monday I woke up to quite a surprise as the temp was 48 degrees and I actually turned my heat on in the car to get the chill out of the air.

I got to Mankato and it had already started to warm up in fact I found myself actually sweating by second practice. One of training camp’s headline thus far has to be the weather.

I went to check out the entrance to Vikings Village and by 8:30 there were probably already a hundred people or so in line and the gate did not even open until 10.

One of my thrills at camp is meeting and talking to fans. Today I met a man who flew in from Phoenix. He actually went to the airport in Phoenix with his wife but she went to Cincinnati to visit family and he flew to Minneapolis to do something he has always wanted to do and that was visit Vikings training camp.

He is a Cardinals season ticket holder but loves the Vikes more. He is a huge football fan so much that he has a mini helmet of every NFL team and a McFarlane NFL action player for each team. He places the action figure on top of the mini helmet. He showed me a picture. He also added that Packers, Cowboys and Steelers are buried so people cannot see them as easy because of his dislike for those teams.

The weather like I said was a bit warmer for the afternoon and fitting the team was in pads for the first time this camp.

I was able to see for the first time the leg of new punter, Jeff Locke. All I can say is wow. He was kicking between 60-70 yard bombs out of the end zone. A strange thing is both Blair Walsh and Jeff Locke are not big guys but they both have legs that will amaze you. I cannot wait for the preseason home opener to see Locke in action.

I really liked the pace of the afternoon practice, which went from about 2:45-4:45. It really seems to be an organized practice. The players thus far seem to know what drill to go to next.

I wrote about Saturday’s practice with the quarterbacks struggling. I really thought Monday went much better for both Ponder and Cassel.

One receiver I have not mentioned as of yet is 3rd year wide out, Stephen Burton. He was my offensive MVP of the session. He made a great deep catch for a TD, a seam down the middle and a front corner of the end zone touchdowns.

Matt Cassel continues to make me feel better about our back up. He really does throw nice seam passes.

I thought Ponder held his own and looked better connecting on the last play of practice a touchdown to Burton.

It was just on Saturday when Bobby Felder returned an INT for a touchdown and now on Monday practice ends on a good note.

I do like watching the sidelines and see what different players are doing. Cordarrelle Patterson dropped a slant pass and went to the sidelines to do pushups. I then see Jerome Simpson lay his helmet on Patterson’s back as he was doing pushups. You know it did not fall off the back either.

Players are in pads and you get the feeling they want to hit. It seems like they have trouble pulling up. They do, except for one play today. Running Back, Bradley Randle caught a ball out of the backfield and defensive back Greg McCoy was coming up on Bradley. The next thing you could hear the pop all the way across the field. I saw McCoy laying on his butt while Randle was looking down at him.

I do need to mention there are two Minnesota State University players trying out for the Vikings and both are wide receivers. One is Adam Thielen and LaMark Brown. Thielen looks extremely strong thus far and has a good set of hand.

I had written in a blog a while back to keep your eyes open because you never know who you will see around. Today Darren Sharper was in town for NFL Network to do an interview with Adrian Peterson after the afternoon practice.

It was neat as they did it in front of the locker rooms so fans including myself could watch. Darren came over after he was done, signed autograph with fans, and took pictures with them as well.

It was a neat way to end my day in Mankato.

Tuesday July 30th is defensive back day for people that want to meet that group. Practice is 10:30-11:30 and 2:45-4:45 or so.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment