Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Who will replace Percy?



The days are over for Percy Harvin in Minnesota and now it is time to move on. I loved watching Percy run with that ball. He was like the human pin ball coming through the hole. Harvin stands at only 5’11” but his strength and determination is what gave him the advantages.

We saw Harvin win 2009 rookie of the year, add in the migraines he went through, and then 2012 the way he started out seemed to be a leading candidate for MVP of the league.

The kickoff returns he had were incredible. How about the catch against Tennessee at home last season as he refused to go down on his way for a touchdown?

I thank Percy for what he did for the team but it is time to move on. The NFL sometimes stands for Not for long. Percy lasted 4 seasons here. He has moved onto a very good team in Seattle. I will be interested to see what he does west.

The question is now, who replaces Harvin?  2013 brings us another chance to see who wants the role.

I look at some options with positivity:
Jarius Wright in pregame

Jarius Wright- 2011 4th round draft choice out of the University of Arkansas He is comparably sized to Harvin. Wright is 5”10 and weighs 180 while Harvin is 5’11” and weighs 184. The 2 were close on their 40 yard dash as Harvin came in at 4.41 and Wright 4.39.  

I really think the advantage for Harvin thus far is his ability to use his body strength. I believe in watching Wright at camp last year in Mankato and at the end of 2012 we saw Wright look the part and now with another year coming up as chance to show the coaches more.

Wright had 15 touchdown his senior year in high school and in college his last year 12 touchdowns at Arkansas. Yes, it was not the NFL but it shows he has the nose for the end zone.

I also believe he would be a nice option at punt returner with the speed he has.
 
CordarrellePatterson.jpg
Cordarrelle Patterson- 2013 rookie 1st round pick out of University of Tennessee. The stat in college that stands out is 10 touchdowns in 12 games. The nice thing on this stat is they were not all receiving touchdowns. He scored on handoffs, punt and kickoff returns.

The size of 6’4” and 212 gets me even more reason to be excited. A big man who plays physical and maybe the last time we saw this was Randy Moss.
Jennings welcome to Minnesota, Greg

Greg Jennings- The big prize free agent the Vikes signed away from Green Bay. Jennings comes in with 53 career touchdowns. He is 6 ‘and weighs 195 in his 8th season. The years I have spent booing the Packers I must and will embrace Jennings. I do not like the Packers whatsoever but I must say they unfortunately are up towards the top with wins. Jennings has been a winner and will stay that way as he helps the purple take down NFL teams.

One things I would like to mention is I follow Jennings on twitter and although I have never met him. It seems the Vikes have found a guy who has passion and has some awesome tweets. I can’t wait to meet him.

I have mentioned 3 names to replace Harvin and maybe it will take all 3 to get the job done. The one advantage to multiple players is the fact it will be harder to scheme against the purple. When Percy was in most teams I believed focused on him which was advantage defense. It was simply the fact that Harvin could escape. The more options the Vikes have the more open the field should be.

Can you say bigger hole for Peterson? Can you say who is Ponder going to throw the ball to? It will be a huge year for the offensive line to give Ponder the protection. It has been a while since I can say I feel we have legitimate options.

The time is now as I say good luck to the 2013 Vikings. Lets’ make the playoffs again and then who knows.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment