Friday, May 18, 2012

Training Camp

The news came out this week that I look forward to each year.The announcement of Training Camp and the date it starts. I am a huge fan of this event. I started going in 1994 to Mankato. As each year came I got more serious to the point in the last 14 years I have missed 6 days total.

I take the the time off from work and make the 80 mile round trip each day. It is a passion I can not explain.
Training camp is hard work for new players trying to earn their way onto the roster as well as veterans makig sure they have their spot secured. My take is watching practice and so much more.

It starts on moving day when I come to meet the players I will be watching on Sundays. The atmosphere for the most part over there is pretty laid back. Security is there and does kindly tell fans when they must leave so players can get ready for the 1st day of camp. This Training Camp will be extra special because it will be the last year that the dorms known as Gage Towers on Minnesota State Campus will host the players. In 2013 the team will have a new residence on campus.

As I said it is more than just football for me. The fans make this experience something to treasure. The one common thing people have over there is the passion for the Vikings. It is so easy to strike up conversations. I love getting people's opinions both of last season and of course the upcoming season.

I am 47 years old and will admit I feel like a kid when it comes to meeting players. The older I get I have found an awesome passion. I enjoy so much helping people identify players and watch fans get autographs. I helped a couple of friends of mine's children get a combined 50 plus autographs last camp. The look on their face when a player signs is priceless.

The other enjoyment  I have is getting pictures with players. I have had my picture taken with over 400 different players through the years. The age of EBay has hurt innnocent people who would like to get an autograph. The scare of people selling items on ebay is unfortunate. I can not prove who I am  to the players but would willingly have them over to see my basement.

The conversations I have had over the years brings with it where people have come from. I had my most unusual last year. I met a couple from Ireland who came to Minnesota  and go to training camp. I have met people from Washington D.C. to Oregon. It seems in my talking to people we have more out of state that come in for this occasion. It is awesome to have this kind off fan base.

My wish for you readers is to make the trip to Mankato. I never make promises but I can assure you that you may never get closer to a player than you do in Mankato. It is what life is all about, memories for a life time. Come make a memory this camp.

Purple Stick

No comments:

Post a Comment