Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Never stop dreaming

The night Brett Favre signed in 2009, I got a phone call from my local paper who had found out about my passion for the Vikings. They did a phone interview wth me to get my thoughts on his signing. The next thing I know I was asked to write a weekly blog from a fan persective for the Owatonna People's Press during the season. In Training Camp I did a daily blog. The blogs lasted for 3 of the best years of my life as a fan.
The writing for the paper is over, but I will not stop writing, thus I started this blog.


I love my sports and to talk about them by way of writing I could never in a million years have dreamed this could happen to me. It was an honor. I will never claim to be a bigger fan than anyone else. I was simply given the chance of a lifetime to follow my passion.

I sat in the Press box for a handful of Vikings games with the other Vikings media. The difference between myself and the other media was I did not get paid to do it. I did for the passion I have for the purple. If a dream comes true in life you need to follow your heart and go with the flow.

On Wednesday morning I read an article about a local athelete who has a chance like no other. Spencer Ohm, who is from Blooming Prairie, Minnesota just 16 miles south of Owatonna on Sunday got a call from the Vikings. Ohm, a quarterback, has been invited to Vikings mini camp this weekend. Spencer played his college ball at Concordia-St.Paul. If he does well, who knows, maybe an invite to training camp. A kid whose favorite team is the Vikings and now gets to try out.

This is a story of 2 guys living a dream. One writing about a team and 1 trying out. I wish Spencer nothing but success in the future and I am in hopes I can meet him in Manakto in late July.

Thank you
Purple Stick

No comments:

Post a Comment