Sunday, May 6, 2012

Nervous time to be a fan

I grew up in the Twin Cities and was a huge Minnesota North Stars fan attending many games at the Old Met Center. I was so exctited when the North Stars made it to the Stanley Cup Finals playing the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 1990- 1991season. Yes they lost, but it was still excting to see a Minnesota team get the state during the run the team had.

The saddest day for me came when the team was moved to Dallas for the 1992-93 season. I was in shock. As a fan you jut don't think something like this will ever happen to a fans favorite team.

The wound became deeper as I watch the Dallas Stars win the Stanley Cup championship in the 1998-1999 season. I remember how bad that felt wondering if only it could have happened in Minnesota to my North Stars. It is something not easily forgotten watching the Dallas Stars players hoist Lords' Stanley Cup over
their heads and skating with it in celebration.

The Minnesota Vikings organization is now facing a potential what if. The government makes the biggest decision as fans must wait for the results on Monday May 7th.

The support I have seen in facebook posts, the newspaper, T.V., listening to the radio, the Minnesota Vikings fan are doing everything in the power to show how much care there is for this organiztion.

The last 2 seasons have not gone as hoped, but still those who bleed purple are standing tall and I am so proud to be part of this feeling. I have gone to the state capitol as well as called my representative to give my thoughts.

The thing is it is much more than just Minnesota people that support this team. I go to training camp in Mankato and enjoy talking to people where they from. The answers are so fun to listed to. I have met people from Hawaii, Virginia, Wyoming, Illinois and much more. I met people last year from Ireland that somehow follow the Vikes.

On Sunday home games I make my trip up I-35 headed North and every Sunday I see more Iowa and South Dakota cars that are headed up as well. The license plate shows where they are from yes, but the people in the car are all desked out in Purple makes it even better.

I even read about a guy who lives in the state of Connecticut who has season tickets and flies in for the games. So yes it is the Minnesota Vikings but the support from out state as well is awesome.

The politicians make the vote and if something happens where it fails I know there may be finger pointing and blaming each other, but the real losers out of this are, WE THE VIKINGS FANS.

The other loss that would be major if the team would move is for the city of Mankato, Minnesota, who hosts the team each summer for training camp. The dollars coming into this city are huge. The hotels,restaurants,shopping and whatever else fans so in Mankato all adds up.

I am only one fan but I feel the team needs to stay with everything I have stated and more. Please join me in sticking together and watching this team win the battle tomorrow. It is more than just a football team, it is everything around it that makes us one big purple family.

Purple Stick



No comments:

Post a Comment