Friday, May 25, 2012

Stadium deal complete

Thursday's preliminary vote of 7-6 gave me hope, but still I learned never assume, because one just never knows. Friday's vote 7-6 by the Minneapolis City Council  made the journey complete. The state legislation approval, the govenor signing the bill, and now today makes a touchdown for this state of Minnesota. My emotional feeling is one of jubilation.

To think the stadium came so close a few times to landing in different spots. I can remember when the Vikings and Arden Hills had started talking. I remember seeing on tv the shot of this vacant area, and also a press conference involving Ramsey County and the Vikings. The possibility a stadium would go here seems so long ago.

The stadium debate brought in a few suitors as Shakopee was mentioned as a possibilty. The Basilica and Flea Market were brought up as well.

The patience paid off as Friday May 25th, 2012, the stadium is not a dream anymore, it is a reality. It is time to bring in architects and everything involved with this future home to my favorite team.

In all honesty at times talking stadium with fellow Owatonna people got a little fiesty. The people against it were not shy. I learned to keep my thoughts to myself unless with other Vikings fans.One of the best things about living in the US is freedom of speech. The passion I saw form both sides will never be forgot.

The ground breaking in 2013 will be an event I can not miss. It will be a day I would like to able to tell my grandkids about it one day. I went to the old Met for a couple games, then the Metrodome which is where my season tickets started 13 years ago. Then finally I will get to transfer my season tickets when the new stadium opens.

I am excited to have a season at TCF Stadium. A couple of years ago I went to the Bears-Vikings game at TCF Bank Stadium. The first outdooor game in almost 30 years. The Vikings got blown out, but the fact to be outside in a snowstorm was one I will never forget. I looked aroung as snow balls were flying. In the upper deck I watched people running and diving on the bech seats up there and sliding quite a ways.

I have so much to be thankful for and so much excitement for the future of the state of the Vikings. I am a season ticket holder who will enjoy this as many years as I am alive.

Purple Stick

No comments:

Post a Comment