Sunday, January 6, 2013

The dream season ends

The day I had been waiting for finally was here as I made my first trip to historical Lambeau Field thanks to my daughter and son in law who got 4 tickets.

We stayed at Days Inn in Appleton, Wisconsin. It was during our stay on Saturday we went to a bar called “The Bar” and paid 20.00 to take a shuttle to Lambeau. It was a Packers bar so the 4 of us were in the minority as we waited to get on the bus.
There were 5 school bused that took fans to the game. My cell phone went dead and with that I lost my ability to find out info on the game.

We were walking through the thousands of tailgaters to get to the game when I found out Christian Ponder was inactive. I had heard earlier in the day it might but I thought probably like most fans it was a game they were playing with the Packers.

I had Packers fans coming up to me to find out my thoughts and they expressed theirs as well. The ones I talked to really thought was bad news for the Vikings. I also was told by one fan that after the way Ponder played last Sunday that he would not have been able to follow that act in Lambeau . All I could say is, we will see what happens. I also got the Packers fans going when I predicted Adrian would get not 199 or 210 he will get 300. This just gets the green and gold fans fired up. It is just friendly trash talking to get us each fired up, like each teams’ fans are not already.

The first drive is exactly what the Vikings needed, a grind it out running game. I loved how Adrian and Joe Webb moved us down the field. The Packers fans in my section were getting nervous watching the Vikes move rather easy. The end result, a field goal was rather disheartening being on the road and not able to get a touchdown. Yes, it was points but I also know the Packers are playing in front of their home crowd.

The game went on and frustration set in as I sat and watched Webb struggle mightily. A part of me felt bad as I know he has not taken a snap all year and then the playoffs come and he gets the call. I know as a backup they should be ready at all times. It just was gut wrenching to watch him struggle.

I compare the Packers defense facing Joe Webb like a shark around blood. Joe just could not react fast enough. I sat and watched him hold the ball too long and seem to be indecisive causing the Packers’ defense to take control.

I would have liked to see Webb run more read options and feel he may have been a little more successful. I also feel the Vikings should have tried more screen passes with the fast Packers rush. I know it’s the coaches’ call, but as a fan it was only a wish.

I do not know how practice went during the week but in my eyes Joe and his receivers were not on the same page all night. Joe threw deep but too far for Simpson. It was awful to watch and to make things worse the Packers fans were laughing at our quarterback.

I am a fan until I die and and am proud to make the trip to Lambeau and show my purple pride even amongst the many Packers fans in my section.

I know Adrian had an MVP year but Saturday night I was the most proud of his efforts. The Packers know Joe Webb is quarterback, they know AP will get a ton of hand offs. In saying this to see Adrian get 99 yards in my mind is equal to 200. It is simply amazing to watch a team focus on Adrian and hit him hard and often and yet AP get almost 100 again.

I might be in the minority in saying this but with Webb’s struggles all night I was so happy for him when he found Michael Jenkins wide open ending in a touchdown.

It was frustrating to watch Aaron Rodgers pass with such efficiency hitting the dump passes and screen passes. I know the term is dink and dunk and Rodgers is taking what he is giving. All I could do is sit and watch after the Vikings make the tackle they would get up shaking their heads.

The penalties Saturday seemed to come at the wrong times. The stop on 3rd down by the Vikings defense was big, forcing a potential field goal by Crosby, so I thought. A penalty flag on the Vikings with 12 men on the field was called. I think back what if Crosby would have missed it would this be a momentum changer?

I saw Jasper Brinkley hustling to the sideline, but too late. The struggles Crosby has been having all season would have been nice to see him come out and choke. The Pack gets 1st down out of this and the next play, touchdown Packers. It is things like this that made my heart sink. I was at the Vikings-Saints NFC Championship game and watched the 12 men back then. What is it about the playoffs and 12 men on the field?

I know it was not our night when Vikings punt returner, Marcus Sherels fumbles a ball. He has been so solid all year and in my mind done a great job. He has gotten such good field position all year with his returns and then Saturday one mistake.

Saturday seemed like anything that could go wrong, did. The chants of Go Pack Go during the game and after the game I think I heard in my sleep.

The Vikings had a year to remember and I for one refuse to lessen my passion for the team with this loss. I am proud of this young team and look forward to the 2013 season.

Thanks to the Wilf family, Coach Frazier and his staff, along with all the players for making this season ticket holder smile even after a loss. The future is bright and I for one am excited like you would not believe.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick










No comments:

Post a Comment