Sunday, January 6, 2013

Looking at Lambeau through my eyes

I have been told by several fans of both the Packers and Vikings fans who have gone to Lambeau that when I go will be the time of my life.

These people were exactly right. The only disappointment is it was a night game so I did not get pictures of the outside of the stadium. I did however make up for that by taking plenty of inside pictures.

The walk up to Lambeau field even though it was dark I got to see hundreds of tailgaters. I have never seen this many in my life. It was vehicle next to each other with seemingly enough space to get your body barely through as you walked. This will be one memory I will never forget.

We continued making our way to the stadium and came up to the security. The dome security we put our arms out as we are patted down lightly. The Lambeau security was different as they had us keep our arms down and they had a hand held scanner and they ran it up and down our body.

We passed the security check and were headed closer to this historical sight. We made our way up steps which reminded me of Target Field with the gates on the Light Rail side have steps going up to the stadium.

The top of the steps to the right workers were charging 4.00 for a seat with a back to it. Lambeau field seats are bleachers and giving 4.00 you are renting this to put on the bench for a little more comfort for sitting.

We made our way to section 129 row 57 in the corner of the end zone and a little to the right where the Packers come out of the tunnel. We got to our row and placed our purchase on the bench. We were told each person gets 18 inches for them to sit. I looked around and saw plenty of blankets fans brought to sit on. The game we attended even though we got the seat we never use it except during halftime. Our section stood the entire game. The other difference from the dome is they do not have beverage holders. You hold them or tuck the drink under your seat.

It was so cozy as people with all their winter clothes made it seem like you had no room to move. It did seem to keep us warmer.

We got situated and went down to the concourse which was huge. It was fairly easy to get through. We are Vikings fan through and through but did walk into the Packers store just to look and I will say it is huge. We did take some grief as we were asked if we wanted to change our colors to green and gold. No thanks!!!!!

We bought some cheese curds and will say they might be the best I have ever had. It was 5.00 and you got a lot. I did not count them but I know we got more than we do at the county fair.

The national anthem brought chills as a National Guard helicopter did the fly over. It was an amazing sight as people had the US flag spread out on the field and a the flyover. A huge playoff game and this sight was emotional as it gets.

I looked around the stadium and saw the names of the Packer greats Reggie White, Paul Hornung, Curly Lambeau. I was seeing a huge chunk of NFL history right behind me.
I did not get a chance to take a tour of the Hall of fame so if I can ever get back there I will make sure it is a priority.

The chant of Packers fans saying Go Pack Go just echoes throughout the stadium I noticed.

The game ended and we could choose go up or down the steps to get out. We went up and got onto a concourse cut over and walked to a walkway that wound down on the outside of the building. It was here and I could look over the railing to see the thousands of fans leaving. It was very easy to get out of the stadium.

Once we got to the bottom we got in the mix of thousands and it seemed to flow very well. The post-game tailgating was still going strong.

We did come to the Brett Favre steakhouse about a block or 2 away from the stadium. There is also a street named after Favre.

That night I was part of the 4th biggest crowd in Lambeau history with over 71,000 fans.

I am a Vikings fan and do not like the Packers but I will say it was one of the most memorable nights of my life seeing this historical sight.

I recommend this highly and hope you can make a trip one day. It was a 700 mile round trip we did in a little over 24 hours and I would do it again but this time a noon or 3 game.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick


No comments:

Post a Comment