Sunday, January 27, 2013

Rudolph MVP in Pro Bowl well deserved

I know I have talked to several people who have no care to watch the Pro Bowl but I cannot be in that group. It is football and that is the bottom line.

The game had great Vikings flavor to it which made it even more fun. Blair Walsh ends up 14 points going 2 for 2 in field goals and 8-8 in extra points. It is simply just an exclamation point to his unbelievable season. The only thing strange to see was a Saints player holding the ball for a Vikings player. They can get along after all or maybe this fan has trouble with bad memories down in the Superdome a couple years ago. The bottom line is Walsh is a Vikings weapon for years to come.

Jerome Felton all year was such an important ingredient to Adrian Peterson’s success in reaching the 2000 milestone in rushing years. It was strange to realize that Felton had 0 carries all season. I would say his hard work through the year paid off tonight with 4 carries and even got a touchdown. What a great reward to a man who deserves it for all his efforts this season.

Chad Greenway played well I thought and his hard work was rewarded on special teams as he recovered a fumble. I still think he deserved better as he should have been voted in instead of going as a replacement for an injured player.

I did like to see the offensive huddle by the NFC as we saw so many Vikings helmets as at times 4/11 of the offense was Vikings with AP, Rudolph, Felton and Kalil all in there. Way to go Vikes for making this fan proud.

I thought Jared Allen played a very good game as well with just like the season not so many sacks but quite a few of quarterback hurries.

The only disappointment was the opening play with Adrian fumbling and I had gone into the game expecting him to be the game’s MVP. I was wrong on this MVP thought but I did love the choice of Kyle Rudolph. The man was not even supposed to be there only to be called after Tony Gonzalez pulled out. I love the effort Kyle put in tonight. The touchdown he hauled in is something I expect much more next year. He has such good hands and in the Pro Bowl did a great job of getting open. I really thought he had MVP wrapped up in the first half. I was concerned that Russell Wilson or AJ Green would sneak in and steal it away. AJ Green with 3 touchdowns even though a loss I did not know how the voters would lean.

The award to Rudolph just caps a fantastic Vikings season. The team wins 3 games last season and then this season shock America and makes the playoffs. Rudolph was not to be in the Pro Bowl and then more than makes up by taking away a new vehicle and his name on the MVP trophy. He is only the 2nd tight end in history to get this award sharing it with Kellen Winslow.

In addition to the Vikings players being huge contributors I loved a few other play calls made by other players that were not Vikings.

I loved the 2 attempts in using Houston Texans JJ Watt as a receiver in the red zone. They were 2 failures but still loved the creativity.

The onside kick attempt by Cleveland Browns kicker Phil Dawson was the most incredible attempt I have ever seen. No, it was not successful but boy was that creative. He fakes one way comes back the other way and then kicks with the back of his foot. If I ever tried that I would fall flat on my face.

I thought a first class move also occurred as the NFL allowed Jeff Saturday (Packers center) who will be retiring after this season snap one more ball to AFC quarterback Peyton Manning. It was weird to see a blue jersey snap to a white jersey but it was just this play. It was nice to see two former teammates get one last chance. A great gesture and class act.

I thought referee Ed Hochuli had the call of the night as the game had their first penalty of the game on defensive pass interference. He gets on his microphone and announces, “Yes, Pro Bowl can have penalties too.” I loved it catching people off guard or maybe I should just say I was caught off guard.

It as a high scoring game but I thought the effort was much better this year and hope the NFL does not do away with it.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment