Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Making a road trip to Lambeau

I have been a Vikings fan since I can remember. I never played football as a kid; just have always loved watching it. I love all levels including high school, college and pro. I enjoy watching college so when the draft comes around I know some of the names and with that comes hopes of a player I have watched become a Viking.

I started my season tickets in 1996 in an unusual way. A lady my dad had worked with could not go but wanted to keep the tickets so each Sunday I bought her 2 tickets and thus I went the whole season. I remember the tickets were in section 101, 4 rows up in the end zone. It was great seats to have when the Vikings were on my end but when they were on the other end it was hard to tell what line they were on so I spent a lot of the game watching the big screen.

The rest of the seasons I have been upper deck and now the last 4 years in 215 corner of the end zone which I love.

My passion for the team has found me doing a few road trips and having a blast. I went to Denver the last year of Mile High Stadium. It was Halloween Day and I went all by myself. My uncle got me 1 ticket so I came in all purple and sat in the middle of orange and blue. I remember I had to take a bus to the game because the normal parking lot had the new stadium going up. Gary Anderson made the game winning field goal to the dismay of Broncos fans. I went to 7 different buses before anyone would let me on. It was concerning but I also knew the Vikings had just won on a last second field goal.

I went to St. Louis for a playoff game the year that the Rams won the Super Bowl. I paid 500.00 for 2 tickets and sat 3 rows from the roof of Edward Jones Dome. A friend of mine and I made the 10 hour trip to St. Louis. Jeff George was quarterback of the Vikings that year. I remember yellow foam sticks were handed to all fans entering. The game had ended and as my friend and made our way down the steps we got hit with the yellow foam sticks. It did not hurt but was also crazy watching the fans celebrate.

I remember parking at the game was free as long as you went on the riverboat on the river in St. Louis and got your ticket voucher punched then we could park for free for the game.

My wife and I went to the Vikings NFC Championship game in New Orleans. We paid 800.00 for 2 tickets and sat in the 6th level of the Superdome. We took a Sun Country Airlines Vikings fan only flight down there. It was a down and return same day flight. I left home at 4 am and returned at 4 am the next day. The fans I thought were pretty nice and enjoyed listening to their accents. Most fans said we are sorry you came this far to watch your team lose. It was a great trip and a chance to see another city in this great USA.

Now Saturday January 5th will be my next road trip. My daughter and my son in law bought 4 tickets for the game in Lambeau. It is on my bucket list to make a trip to Green Bay before I die. I had so much fun last Sunday at the nest game I had ever been to. I cannot wait to walk around and take it in. I dislike the Packers like any true Vikings fan but this is a historical sight which I cannot deny. I am hoping for a Vikings win but to say I went to Lambeau field for a playoff game is something I will never forget.

Go Vikes
Thanks for reading
Purplestick


No comments:

Post a Comment