Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Peterson out for preseason

The decision to shut down Adrian Peterson for the remainder of the preseason makes for an interesting debate by fans.

Do you play AP and risk getting him hurt before the regular season even begins? We do not have to worry about that now. The concern is when he does get his first carry does a team try and tackle low and see how he comes out? It is like a shark smelling blood. I believe this man will make teams pay by running through and around them. I will never forget the Cleveland Browns game in 2009 watching AP shoving defenders so easily while running full steam. He pushed the players away like they were little kids.

The team is showing the fans that the youth movement is making its way through the team. One area not being changed at least at running back is already led by Peterson. He is youthful age wise, but his body with all the hits has got to be aging quickly.
This is a man who had major surgery and 7 and a half months later is trying to talk the team into letting him play. The millions of dollars the team has invested in him is incredible.

There has been an episode on Vikings Gridiron showing Adrian and the therapy he went through. Will we ever see a player like this again on any team? You have to respect a guy like this who takes care of his body so well.

The NFL as I have seen written stands for Not For Long. In Peterson’s case I believe he is going to make the statement stay in the background and have continued success while wearing purple.

Not only does he have my respect as a player but I have also seen him in public. I will never say I know him nut have met him a few times in Mankato. This is a man who draws fans like there is no tomorrow. He is a man who is chased by kids and adults trying to meet him as he is riding his bike.

The thing I enjoy in watching him as he comes off the practice field all the while people are screaming his name he looks at the crowd smiles and waves to them acknowledging his fans.

I did see him in action on campus one night. I pulled into Kwik Trip in Mankato and he happened to pull into next to me. The next thing I know before I could blink an eye his car was mobbed by fans. I could not get out of my car if I wanted to. I sat and watched as Peterson took pictures with fans and signed autographs. The workers even came running out to meet him. He stood there and to me it did not seem he tried to brush anyone away. I was so impressed the time he took. The celebrity status he has unfortunately comes with when can he go somewhere and not have to worry about fans. I will never forget his patience this night. His foot was right next to my car so I did not want to back up. I sat in my car and took it all in. This guy is a heck of a football player but today the personality came through with flying colors.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment