Friday, August 31, 2012

53 man roster set for now

Friday August 31 at 8:00 pm is now over and we now know our roster at least for tonight. This weekend could bring changes but for now we can look at what the team came up with.

I had predicted in a earlier blog that 8 of the 10 2012 draft choices would make the team. Trevor Guyton the 7th round was cut Friday, but I believe will be a practice squad candidate and Greg Childs, 4th round pick was injured at the passing scrimmage in Mankato in early camp and has been ruled out for the year. That leaves 8 out of 10 making the 2012 squad.

Here is an interesting fact in the last 2 seasons there has been 20 draft choices made by the Vikings and of the 20, there are 16 on the current roster. Ross Holman, linebacker from Ohio State was the only cut draft choice in 2011. The number comes out to be 80 percent success rate by the Vikes rookies who have made the team through the draft 2011 and 2012. Two of the 20 are on IR with DeMarcus Love (2011) and Greg Childs (2012). In total 16 are on the roster, 2 were released and 2 on IR making the 20.

I also looked at the overall roster of 53 and found that that 30 of these players are Vikings draft choices. The youth movement is evident as this works out to be 57 percent of the team is draft picks.

I spent much of Friday watching Twitter as the names were being released. It seemed to be such a slow process. I was anxious to see if any big names would be cut. The thing on this roster is there are just that many big names that could possibly get cut.

The first sighting of big name was quarterback, Sage Rosenfels. This really threw me for a loop as what I had been hearing and reading is Joe Webb would be the odd man out. I was real concerned if the team would try and put McLeod Bethel-Thompson on the practice squad he would not last there long with team coming after him. Joe Webb is so athletic but yet the concern of accuracy. In the end of the day the team has gone total youth at this position. I sit back and look at this organization again making a point of the youth movement. I am a fan and with this statement said I support the management’s decision 110%. I put my trust in them.

The third running back situation was a struggle for me who I wanted because both Matt Asiata and Jordan Todman both could add value. I do think Asiata deserves the spot with the camp and preseason he had. I do wonder if Todman could have been healthy all of camp would he have fared any better. That ankle sprain just never let him get going in Mankato and then to have such a good night in Houston. Was it too late? I feel it is a win with either being chosen and now there is no sense of speculation. The job is awarded to Asiata and with that proves hard work and determination can pay off. Matt was an undrafted rookie free agent in 2011 and Friday was rewarded a spot on the roster.

The group I am probably most excited to see is the tight end. I really believe Kyle Rudolph will be a huge success and fantast wise will be a desired player to pick up. The free agent pick up of John Carlson, from Litchfield, Minnesota has come home to be another big target. The draft of Rhett Ellison I can remember hearing complaints when he was drafted. This guy had a great camp and looked tremendous. The last is Alan Reisner, a 2011 rookie free agent from the University of Iowa, is another product of hard work. I really think when Carlson went down Reisner made the most of his opportunity.

The wide receiver group lost Emannuel Arceneaux, as he was cut. The rest of the group has 3 of 6 coming through the draft. The Jerome Simpson situation takes him out of action the first 3 games so the youth will be on display.

On the defensive side of the ball the shock I did not see coming was Chris Carr who came as a free agent from Baltimore. I was high on this move having a guy coming from a Ravens defense who seemed to always be in the top 5 in the NFL. 7 of the 11 guys who survived the cut are Vikings draft choices. Antoine Winfield, Marcus Sherels, Zach Bowman and Andrew Sendejo are the only non-draft picks of the team Sherels advantage comes with his punt return skills and Bowman coming from the Bears has experience against the rest of the NFC North.

I am excited about the linebacker corp with Greenway, Henderson and Brinkley the starters. The list of linebackers I looked at and then name I was hoping would get called was Audie Cole. The 2 interceptions helped but I really think his best game may have just happened in Houston. His hustle was very much present. Marvin Mitchell coming as a free agent might have the biggest impact as his experience will be big.

The defensive line is made up of 8 and 6 of them are draft choices by the team. The only 2 not are Jared Allen and Fred Evans. There are not enough words in the world that can describe Allen and what he means to this organization. Evans is an NFL vet and has played the last few in Minnesota so has the experience working with the rest. He had a very nice preseason. This should be a fun youthful group to watch progress as the season goes.

No matter what group of players you look at there is youth written all over it. The release of Ryan Longwell earlier in the year was a signal this team was serious and after Friday at 8 more evidence was given to fans.

The NFC North as a whole is full of youth with the Packers, Lions and Bears all young. It is now Minnesota’s time to try their hand at building a successful future.

The weekend could bring change yet but for now I look at this 53 man roster and feel like I can believe this year will be better. The time is now. Forget the past and get excited with me as next Sunday September 9th the fun begins.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick


No comments:

Post a Comment