Monday, August 6, 2012

Fans come from all over

As I have said before it is just not Minnesota people that love the Vikings. Today I ran into a family from Copenhagen,Denmark. I met the dad, and his son and daughter. The mom and grandma are here as well but I did not meet them. They are in the US for 32 days with yesterday through Wednesday being the last 4 of the 32 right here in Mankato. They flew into the US going to Florida first then California and now here in Mankato.

The son’s name is Nicholas, 18 and boy is he a big time fan. We stood outside across from the locker rooms and as the players were coming out he was saying each name. I told him he knew the names better than some of the people that live in Minnesota.
I asked him why the Vikings. He said it started in 2007. He has NFL network and fell in love with this team. His dad said each Sunday night they sit and watch the Vikings.
Nicholas’s dad had said with the technology has helped his son even more. The Madden game is real popular in their house.

I took Nicholas and his family around campus in hopes of meeting players. We had some success including Nicholas meeting Jared Allen and getting his autograph. The smile this kid showed made my day. I have had my share of success in the past on my own and now it is time to give back to whoever would like help. The more Vikings fans I can meet the happier my day gets.

I asked the family about the time difference and the answer is 7 hours ahead. If it is 3pm here it is 10pm there. I also asked about the travel as far as where from Minnesota do you go next to get home. They fly 7 hours to Paris,France and then wait 2 hours in Paris then take the next plane 2.5 hours and they are back home in Copenhagen.

This was an incredible experience on my part. The daughter did ask me if I knew what language they spoke. I was not sure and did not want to embarrass myself. The answer was Danish.

Stay tuned tonight for the Monday nights practice article
Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment