Wednesday, August 15, 2012

30 and done

The 30th practice has just concluded as the team stopped 15 minutes earlier than scheduled. I was able to come 16 days including move in day. I put 1411 miles on my car as I drove 88.2 miles a day round trip. I figure I watched a little over 50 hours of practice with 3 plus hours a day. We saw extreme heat early in camp, some rain pushing practice into Myers Field House, and the last 2 days were beautiful. It is the most amazing thing to do as a fan come support the team. I could not do any of this without the support of my family. It is easily a 12 hour day from the time I leave my house to the time I get home.

The practice that just concluded I came out very impressed with Christian Ponder and his accuracy today. He really looked comfortable with his receievers. Christian to Jerome Simpson is a fun thing to watch. It is like they have worked together for years.

Ponder looked extremly sharp in 11 on 11 drills. His quick decision making showed today in a big way. The actual games coming up will show more but at least in practice for now I like what I see.

This camp as I leave makes me feel that I saw as much competition as possible. The last year of 3-13 will not happen again. There is just to much youthfulness out there with kids that are working their butts off. There is a tremendous amount of speed on this team.

Josh Robinson ,2012 draft choice made a fantastic break on a Joe Webb pass and away he went. The punt return skills he has exhibited also gives me reason to believe that there will be speed that should be respected by other NFL teams.

Adrian Peterson can not be touched by the defense which I am sure is hard but to see AP touch the ball there are no signs of someone who is coming off surgery. The way he glides through the hole and cuts is something of beauty.

I believe this team will surprise the odds makers in Las Vegas and win more than predicted. I will not say 16-0 but I believe we can be a 9-10 win team.

The veteran ledership of Jared Allen,Kevin Williams, Antoine Winfield is huge. These guys have been winners and the last 2 seasons I do not believe they will allow any more. I will say I can see 8 draft choices making the team. I hope I am wrong and all 10 make it.

I believe every group has grown in the skills department. I really believe the guy on offense that will shine this season is Kyle Rudolph. The catches he makes both low and above his head are incredible to watch.

In closing this city of Mankato is a fun place to be. The people that come from all over is crazy even from Europe. I have talked to a few around here who believe along with myself attendance was down, but the people that did come showed a tremendous amount of support. This team is truly worth cheering for. I believe the word FAN means FOREVER AND NEVER ENDING.

It is emotional for me as I leave Mankato after all the hours each year I watch. It seems that football is over, but really it is just the beginning as the journey for the Super Bowl begins in a few weeks.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment