Monday, August 6, 2012

Defense looked strong

Monday afternoon practice I thought the defense really stepped up today. It is such a hard subject because as I have said if the offense is moving the ball the defense may not be up to par. The same for the defense if it is smothering you wonder what the offense is going to be like this season.

When there are 90 players on the field it can be really challenging if you are trying to keep an eye on too much. I kind of plan in my head each day what I will concentrate on. When the 11 on 11’s finally happen it is much easier on the eyes. I also read from several sources to see what is being said and this helps me in coming into practice to focus on a group of players.

I got a chance to watch the D-Line go one on one with the offensive linemen. I have seen plenty of Jared Allen and Kevin Williams in action against the O-Line. Brian Robison is looking faster than ever. The guy left on the line who I have not watched as much is playing with the first unit D-Line is Letroy Guoin. Today he was unstoppable in drills and when O-Line went against the D-Line Letroy was getting through. Since Pat Williams has left the middle has not been the same. So far it looks like the team has found the guy.

Chris Carr, free agent from the Baltimore Ravens is having a good camp. I have seen him in the nickel with the first unit. I am excited to have a player here from a team that is always in the top 5 in the NFL for defense, the Ravens. If he can bring his experience into this young group it should be very beneficial.

I also saw Harrison Smith, first round pick, playing safety with the first unit for a little. The first depth chart of the year was released and I see Jamarca Sanford and Mistral Raymond are the starters for now. Mistral did pick off Ponder in 11 on 11 drills making a nice play on the ball.

On a 2 minute drill, linebacker Marvin Mitchell intercepted a Joe Webb pass.

The defense really looked good on goal line situations as the offense with Ponder’s try resulted in 0-3 to get in either by pass or run. Joe Webb had the same results. Finally McLeod Bethel-Thompson handed off to rookie free agent, Derrick Coleman and he took it in for 6. 8 straight stops before hitting pay dirt. Today went to the defense.
Offensively Percy Harvin caught a swing pass and left the defender froze and drew an oooh from the crowd.

Devin Aromashodu made some outstanding catches including a beautiful sideline pass from Sage Rosenfels.

Joe Webb also came out of the pack and around the corner and there he went for 6.

Each day someone seems to step up and make themselves noticeable. As a fan it is awesome to try and watch as much as you can. Practice is just that practice. I did see some very good defense and the offense had its moments as well tonight. Friday will be fun, especially coming every day and watching the players so when I do watch the game on TV I will know who Marvin Mitchell is for example.

Reminder on Wednesday August 8 which is running back- The first 2000 fans will get a scratch off to win the right to meet Adrian Peterson. In the past there have been 150 winning scratch offs to meet Peterson.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment