Friday, August 10, 2012

A game to learn from

I don’t know about you, but was it not nice to have football again. You may disagree, but the attendance in San Francisco surprised me. Yes, I know it is preseason but its football season and the 49ers were just in last year’s NFC title game.

The other strange occurrence had to do with the weather. The Vikings have been holding practice in Mankato in temps of high 80’s and low 90’s even just last week, and then tonight seeing them in jackets trying to stay warm.

I really liked the broadcast team of Paul Allen and Pete Bercich. I am a big fan of PA on the radio so to get the bonus of hearing him on TV was a true treat.

The game itself had some concerns such as the amount of yards given up to the 49ers running game. The Vikings just could not get the stop when needed a little like last season. The other concern was Joe Webb’s play. It is early so plenty of time to turn it around. He is just too athletic not to be successful. Webb just looked so frustrated when coming to the sidelines.

It was a loss, but I did see plenty to be excited about. Blair Walsh making two field goals is huge for this man’s confidence. I loved the kickoffs deep and the return game of the 49ers minimal. In finishing 28th last season in this category tonight was a big step to get things turning for the better.

Although just 2 drives with the first string offense I was very pleased with the protection. I won’t say it was perfect but Christian Ponder actually had time to throw. The deep ball to Stephen Burton was so nice to see. He had 4 completions along with 2 drops by receivers but the ball was right there. The connections with tight end Kyle Rudolph is just what I am seeing in Mankato. I believe Rudolph will be a fantasy stud in leagues this season.

Toby Gerhart continued from last season with his ability to break tackles. The long run he had is encouraging especially coming off surgery late last season.

The reception by rookie Rhett Ellison coming across the middle, catching the ball and taking a monster hit, yet still hanging onto the ball. What a catch!! This is the player I am very high on in making the team. Way to go Rhett!!

The emergence of McLeod Bethel-Thompson was so exciting. I was hoping you could see what he is flashing in Mankato. Yes, he threw a terrible ball resulting in an interception. The arm strength he displayed tonight was too bad we had to wait so late to see in the game. I really think this kid has what it takes to make the squad. I know Webb will get better, but to have a kid like this is encouraging. I said it before if they put him on the practice squad he will be gone in a heartbeat.

As I started out I was disappointed with the rush defense but did enjoy the efforts of some of the youngsters trying to make the squad.

Audie Cole had an impressive debut granted he was going against 3rd and 4th stringers but he still had to make the plays. A sack was huge tonight. I love his hustle and believe he has a shot to make the 53 man squad.

How about the former University of Minnesota Anthony Jacobs contribution? I really thought he showed great hustle. He is facing a tough battle to make the team but a night like tonight who knows?

There was no Jared Allen, Antoine Winfield, Kevin Williams playing tonight so the game was wide open to see who will step up to show the team they can make it and give the team some much needed depth. I could feel the disappointment in Coach Frazier as the TV camera was on Coach shaking his head when the 49ers would get the yards needed.

It is preseason and we as fans do not like to see losses. The games are wins if in the end of preseason the mistakes are figured out and the team becomes better for it. It was not too long ago the Detroit Lions went 4-0 in preseason and went 0-16 in regular season.

I will go to Mankato next week and watch the team regroup in hopes of the team showing signs of better run stop when they host Buffalo Bills on Friday the 17th.

Thanks for reading
Purplestick


No comments:

Post a Comment