Friday, April 26, 2013

Vikings Draft Party, one word: AWESOME!!!


The day has finally come as I was making my way north on 35 to MOA Field with a feeling of just not knowing. Will the Vikings keep 1 of the 2 first round picks, neither and move down, or trade up? So many questions and only time will tell.

I got into the dome and saw fans dressed in purple walking the concourse making me feel right at home with my family.

We made our way down the steps and witnessed a field full of fans. It was the most awesome sight to see a field packed with fans. I did not know what to expect but always hope many will show. The 10-6 season and a playoff game maybe helped.

The figure I heard was around 6,000 fans which wrong or right it was just a beautiful sight of purple.

The Vikings ship was inflated in its normal corner. It was this day in which the new Vikings uniform was unveiled. It was done so well with Christian Ponder, Kyle Rudolph, Jerome Felton and Everson Griffen doing the modeling. They were introduced one at a time as they came running through the ship with fans lined on each sight.
 
Vikings announcer, Paul Allen emceed throughout the entire party had these 4 guys come up to show the jerseys and also was able to interview them.

I was the most impressed by Griffen who just seemed to have a lot of energy this night. He told the crowd he became a father for the first time in January. The smile on his face was priceless. This is also a contract year so I really look for big things out of this 2010 4th round pick.

The field had mannequins set up in different places with the new look jersey so fans could see up close. I am a big fan of the purple pants. I really like the new look helmet. It seems to be a duller purple which looks sharp along with a black facemask. The numbers on the jerseys also have a neat look to them. It is hard to describe but if you go to KFAN.com you can see the pictures and make up your own mind on which jersey you like the best, White jersey, purple pants, Purple jersey, and white pants.

I found one mannequin dressed up as Adrian Peterson who was in game action. It was amazing to see the fans posing with this figure. I even saw a couple guys poising in trying to tackle AP. Oh the dreams people have.
 
The rest of the night was concentrating on the draft as PA had a fun panel to listen. Ben Leber, Pete Bercich, Paul Charchian did a great job of breaking down the nights action.

One guest who made an appearance was Pat Williams. I knew he was in town to sign a one day contract and retire as a Viking. It was my hope he would make an appearance. It was awesome to see one of my favorites being part of the Williams Wall. Teams could not run on these guys making it a pleasure to see how many teams thought they could.

Pat was given a Williams framed jersey. The smile on his face was just another part of fun sights to see. He got the crowd laughing when asked if the Vikings flew him in. He responded, “No, I had to buy my own,” and started to laugh when saying this.

The time for the Vikings pick was getting closer as the Chicago Bears were on the clock at number 20. Fans were anxious to see if they would take Manti Te’o. Commissioner Goodell made the announcement and it was not Te’o. I really thought Vikings fans were getting nervous the Vikes would take Manti.

PA’s next did a crowd poll asking fans who they want. He mentioned Te’o and with the crowd in unison it was one huge boo. I was not sure what the Vikes were going to take.

The whole draft was strange with all the players I thought would already be taken still on the board. I could feel my heart beating faster. We have a choice to get a huge impact player with 23.

The announcement of Shariff Floyd I absolutely loved and could not be happier. We have a big man who can play next to Kevin and be the future anchor of the Vikes D-Line. My grade A+. I think I have seen a million mock drafts that the majority of them saying Floyd will be a top 5 player taken in the draft.
 
The Vikes then get 25 in which I hoped Cordarrelle Patterson wide receiver next. The call was made and no Patterson instead Xavier Rhodes was taken at 25. The Vikes have now got 2 guys that can help the defense immediately, I did want Patterson but after doing more reading I saw why Spielman thought highly enough of Rhodes. My grade A+

The 6000 fans after Rhodes had been picked began to leave. We were just sitting and watching, when PA says he is hearing rumblings that the Vikes traded back to the first round.

What, this is awesome I thought!!!!  The fans that were left I believe all had hoped  Patterson was the man. The announcement came and with that the jubilation begin as my heart was pounding a million times a minute with my fists pumping.  Grade A++++

What a night 3 first round picks. It is the first time since 1967 the Vikes have taken 3 guys in the first round.

Mike Mayock also from NFL Network I read in his pre draft top 5 by position he had as follows: Floyd (# 1 DT) Rhodes (#2 CB) and Patterson (# 1 WR).

The most exciting draft party I have been a part we ending staying so late we had to find someone to let us out of the dome

WHAT A NIGHT!!!!!!

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment