Sunday, April 14, 2013

Three players to keep an eye out for in 2013


The draft is just 11 days away and with all the mock drafts and talk on who the Vikings are going to take it is time to switch gears. I would like to bring up three players are on the current roster I am looking for big things out of these players this coming season.

The Vikings have all world Jared Allen at one defensive end and at the other Brian Robison. I love the hustle these guys both bring each game but there is one player on the roster that made a big splash with some flashy sacks numbers.

I am referring to Everson Griffen who was taken in the 4th round out of USC in the 4th round. In 2012 he made a big statement with his constant quarterback hurries and sacks. In 2010 and 2011 he had 4 sacks total and then in 2012 had 8.

Everson lost his mom last season and played the next week in Washington. He had stated she loved to watch me play that is why I am back.

On January 24th, 2013 he became a dad for the first time. He has also lost 11 pounds to go from 273 to 262. I believe he showed his quickness already just think how much faster and quicker he will be.

The man has so much to play for and I have reason to believe Vikings fans are going to watch a man on a mission. Good Luck, Everson!!!

On the offensive side of the ball I will be watching guard, Brandon Fusco. I met his parents last season in Mankato at Training Camp and did we ever talk.

It is my first football family I ever got a chance to talk to. Brandon was drafted in the 6th round out of Slippery Rock College in Pennsylvania. Brandon’s dad Steve had told me they had 400 people invited to a bar in hopes that their son would be drafted. The third day was the biggest day of the Fusco’s life in watching their son get drafted. Brandon got the call from Vikings Offensive Line Coach, Jeff Davidson to tell Brandon the Vikings were taking him.

In 2012 Brandon became a starter but at times he shared playing time with Geoff Schwartz. In the offseason Schwartz signed with the Kansas City Chiefs. I am in hopes this gives Brandon the confidence to know he is the full time starter and will make the most of his opportunity.

Brandon drafted sixth round has made it and was part of a line that opened holes for Adrian Peterson. I am looking for bigger things out of Brandon especially with a year under his belt with the experience he got from last season.

The last is tight end John Carslon who the Vikings spent big bucks in last offseason. John got hurt in training camp and again during the season.

The man has size and ability to catch the ball as I witnessed in Mankato last season before the injury.

Kyle Rudolph showed his value last year and my hope this season is to see John be a big contributor. I would love to see options for Ponder to throw to. It would be so nice to have multiple red zone options.

I wish all players in camp good luck but these 3 I believe have a lot to offer the team. Good luck to John, Everson and Brandon along with all players who will wear purple this season.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment