Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The whys of being a Viking fan


People make many choices in life in their hobbies, in what they want to do after work of on weekends. Life is full of choices is the bottom line.

My choice in life is to be a passionate the Minnesota Vikings fan and am proud of it.  What I find in this life is a great degree of criticism and questions about choosing the team I do. The comment most heard is all they do is disappoint us. I will defend my passion with honor.

It starts for me at Training camp making the everyday journey to Mankato and watching the men who are trying to make the team. I spend anywhere from 10-12 hours a day watching practice and meeting and talking with the players.

The team after the unfortunate boat scandal has done a much better job of bringing in players who seem to appreciate the fans and support we give them.

It is the start of a foundation each year watching camp and then going to the preseason games and watching how players translate their practice habits when it is game time. Do I see the catches I see in camp? Do I see the accuracy in the games I saw in Mankato?

One of the more enjoyable conversations I have with a player is the size of Minnesota State campus. I do my research and know where these players played college ball.  Matt Kalil and Harrison Smith both come from big campuses in USC and Notre Dame and then they come to this little city/college. What must go through their mind? I like to break the ice with the player and ask them about the dorm room at Gage Complex. If you want to see a smile just ask them. I know this year they will be in a different housing so I will ask the next training camp. A question to ask is comparing the Gage Tower with the new housing.

The training camp also brings with it a bike. Yes, players have to ride bikes to and from meetings or just back to the dorm. It is a sight as you can tell who has road recently and who has not.

It is these 2 subjects to talk to players along with practice you feel like you are getting to know the guys who will be screaming your bloody lungs out on Sundays at the game.

The season is coming and I am getting ready to take in another season as a season ticket holder. I have been to over 130 home games and only missed 1 game which was a preseason game.

The walk from your car to the stadium usually walking with other fellow Vikings fans and getting closer to Mall of America Field. You soon see thousands of purple clad fans with face painting, hats of all sorts walking around and tailgating. It is a feeling like I cannot describe as I am joining my Sunday family of 64,000.

The game time gets closer, the music is blaring, the Vikings are coming sending chills throughout my body.

I am so proud to be a Minnesota Vikings loyalist and will be to the day I die.

I have gone on road trips to Denver, St. Louis, New Orleans, and latest I went to Green Bay. Each time decked out in my purple colors from head to toe.

I have flown to New Orleans for the NFC Championship game on Sun Country. It was a Vikings fan flight only. We were given purple and yellow beads when entering the plane. Once on we were given little purple wine bottles along with purple donuts. A game that ended in heartbreak I am still so proud to have gone and showed my support for the team.

My car has car flags on it.  My basement has astro turf and white yard lines. The walls are painted purple. It is my passion. It is my pride.

I will talk Vikings with you until I am blue or should I say purple. It is the most incredible thing I have ever done with my life outside of my family. I have a wife who is my best friend and goes to all the games with me.

I am a Vikings fan win or lose they have my support 100,000 percent.

This is my story

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment