Monday, April 22, 2013

Draft Party through the years and its changes


The draft party is something I hope every Vikings fan gets a chance to go to some year. I started going in 1996 and have not missed any year they have offered one.

I started in 1996 when it was held at the Mall of America. It was just packed with the combination of shoppers and Vikings fans. I remember have two places to meet players and that was the Rotunda and on the 4th floor at America’s Original Sports Bar, which is now closed.

I remember meeting players in the Rotunda then hustling up to the 4th floor to meet more. I remember in 1999 when the Vikings took Daunte Culpepper with their first pick. The area I was in really was unhappy with the name Jevon Kearse being chanted throughout the 4th story. Did the Vikings make the right choice?

In the early 2000’s the scene then moved to Winter Park which was absolutely amazing. It was just so fun as a fan to be walking on the turf the players practiced on. I just remember my first time in there looking around in amazement as how big it was. There was plastic on the field to try and protect the turf but still once in a while you could see and actually walk on the turf. It was such a strange feeling to feel.

I remember lines for autographs but also players walking around meeting fans. They were not in jerseys so you just had to know your players.

If you looked up from the floor where we were standing you could see coaches once in a while at the window looking down onto the crowd. My thought was I would love to be in the war room and experience a draft.

Who can forget 2003 draft party where the Vikings pick came up and fans were chanting Suggs, Suggs, Suggs as in Terrell Suggs.  The Vikings took Kevin Williams. Fans were in shock and as it turned out Kevin was a great pick and has been a leader since. Kevin went number 9 and Terrell went 10 that year. I am very pleased with the Williams pick.

Every year has been a blast. The MOA experience was great although I did not know any different.  Winter Park enters the scene and MOA was just a memory in the rear view mirror of life.

2012 the draft party for the first time in history was at Mall of America Field. I at first was disappointed because I loved the atmosphere at Winter Park. I had to give the MOA field a chance and it was a blast and a memory I will not forget.

It was just amazing how the team had things set up. There was plenty of room to walk around and take things in.

The tour of the locker room was a great offer for fans. The huge stage with a monstrous TV screen was a plus. There were chairs set up for first come first serve for those who wanted to sit and watch the draft. Vikings announcer, Paul Allen was the emcee and had great guests such as Chris Doleman and Adrian Peterson.

The amount of things to do for fans let something for all ages to enjoy.

2013 Vikings draft party returns to MOA field for another great time. The last year of the dome and a chance to be part of a last, I can’t resist.

Please come out and see what I am talking about on Thursday April 26th.

Thanks for reading

Purplestick

No comments:

Post a Comment